As described in Configure Message Destinations, a rule can send information in a message to a message destination, which is the location where the message is stored and made accessible to external scripts and programs. You only specify a destination to provide information to such a script or program. You can select one or more message destinations.
You should not use message destinations at the rule level if the rule includes a workflow that contains a function. In this case, the function defines the message destination.
For menu item rules only, you can also configure activity fields, which allow you to create a dialog box to collect information from the user, where this information is also sent to the message destination. The user sees the dialog box after selecting the action from the Actions menu. For example, you can require the user to select a ticket queue and specify a priority when generating an IT ticket from a task note.
To create a dialog box, click the Show Activity Fields link when creating or editing a menu item rule. You can drag and drop fields as well as insert headers and HTML markup on the layout panel to organize the dialog box. In addition, you can create new fields by clicking Add Field then configuring the following values:
- Type of Field: Select the type of the field that best
matches its purpose.
When creating a field of the type Select, you can set a default value. When creating a field of the type Multiselect, you can set a default value; however, that is relevant only for the new incident wizard. When the field is used in other places, the default value is not shown.
- Label for the Field: Enter the display name for the field.
- API Access Name: The platform automatically generates the API access name, based on the display name. NOTE: App developers use this name to interact with this field from the API.
- Placeholder: If you enter a placeholder, this value is automatically displayed in the field to provide a hint to the user.
- Requirement: Enter Always to make it a required field, where the user cannot execute the rule (as an action) without specifying a value for the field. Select On Close to make it required when closing an incident. Select Optional if the user is not required to enter or select a value.
- Tooltip: Optionally enter descriptive text or a helpful hint. This displays an information icon next to the field. Your text displays when a user hovers over the icon.