When you specify a host name, rather than an IP address, IBM® Connect:Direct® gets the IP address from the operating system. The first IP address returned by the operating system is used regardless of whether it is in IPv4 or IPv6 format.
A host name (net, host, gateway, or domain name) is a text string of up to 24 characters comprised of the alphabet (A–Z), digits (0–9), minus sign (-), and period (.), for example, msdallas-dt.
The following guidelines also apply:
- No blank or space characters are permitted as part of the name.
- Periods are allowed only when they are used to delimit components of domain-style names.
- Host names are not case sensitive.
- The first and last character must be a letter or digit.
- Single-character names or nicknames are not allowed.