Configure the Cognos Controller database
Before you can run IBM® Cognos Controller, you must configure the Cognos Controller database.
You configure the Cognos Controller database using Controller Configuration.
- From the Start menu, start Controller
If you are using a Microsoft Windows operating system with User Account Control (UAC) turned on and installed the product to the Program Files directory, IBM Cognos Controller Configuration is identified as an administrative application. You must run it with elevated administrative privileges. To save the configuration settings, the UAC prompts for credentials if you are using a standard account.
- In the Explorer window, click Database Connections, and then click File > New.
- In the Properties window, click
the Database type box, and then use the drop-down
arrow to select the database type.
You can choose DB2, Oracle or SQL Server.
- In the Name box, type a name for the database connection.
- In the Provider box, type the name
of the database provider.
To obtain the database provider information, see the DB2®, Oracle or SQL Server documentation.
- In the User ID and Password boxes, type the user name and password for the Controller database.
- In the Initial catalog box, type the Controller database name.
- In the Data source box, type the
database server computer name.
Do not use localhost.
- Click File > Save.
- In the Explorer window, expand Database Connections.
- Select the database you want to upgrade.
- Click Actions > Run.
- If no Java™ is found, browse to and select the Java 8 JRE in the C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\ccr_64\bin64\jre\8.0 directory.
- If you have more than one Oracle version installed a message appears, select the same Oracle version that you are using with Controller.
- If this is an empty Controller database, in the Database
Conversion Utility window, click Create Db.
The Database Conversion Utility initializes the database.Note: When you create a new database, by default the database version is 813. You then need to perform database upgrade to the latest version of IBM Cognos Controller.
- In the Database Conversion Utility dialog
box, click Connect and then click Upgrade.
The Database Conversion Utility upgrades the existing database.Note: To upgrade database versions lower than 789 use the old Database Conversion Utility tool in the c10\legacy directory.
- Click Close.
- From the Actions menu, click Check.
If the database connection validation fails, review the database connection properties and fix any errors.
- From the File menu, click Save.
- In the Explorer window, under Web Services Server, click Report Server.
- Under Report Server connections,
The new database is now configured as a data source for Report Server, and is listed as a data source in IBM Cognos Connection.