Use a waterfall visualization to understand the cumulative effects that a series of positive and negative values have on an initial value. The bars in a waterfall visualization are not total values.
A waterfall visualization shows how an initial value is increased and decreased by a series of intermediate values, leading to a final cumulative value shown in the far right column. The intermediate values can either be time-based or category-based.
- Viewing the net income after you add the increases and decreases of revenue and costs for an enterprise over a quarter.
- Cumulative sales for products across a year with an annual total.
The following waterfall visualization shows the revenue delta by quarter.
The preceding waterfall visualization uses data from the Sporting Goods Company source. To recreate this visualization, complete the following steps:
- From a dashboard, click Visualizations and select Waterfall.
- Click Sources and from Team content, open .
- Move the following data sets from the Policy Holders section to the
- Drag Quarter onto the x-axis field.
- Drag Revenue onto the y-axis field.
- Set the properties for the Delta data item. Click the Actions icon then set the
following options under the section:
- Currency: Default
- Currency display: Default
- Set the properties for the appearance of the visualization. Click the Properties iconIn the Visualization tab, you can set column color options, axis, legend position, and chart properties.
For this example, set these options:
In the General tab, you can set appearance, layout, position, and size.Note: Size properties are set in percent if the property is set to Relative, and in px if Layout positioning is set to Absolute. To find out more, see Setting up the page in a dashboard.When you are done, click the Properties iconto close the Properties pane.
- Total column positive color: #8DC945
- Show legend: Off
You can use sub-categories in waterfall visualizations to display how categories are build up.
While in edit mode, drag month onto the Sub-categories field.
You can see how the revenue of each month contributes to the quarters.
Showing the sub-categories totals by category or cumulative
You can display the total of the sub-categories by category or cumulative.
While in edit mode, click the Properties icon. In the Visualization tab, click . From the menu, select either By category or Cumulative.
You can see how the cumulative totals in revenue of each quarter contribute to the year.