Getting started in IBM Cognos Analytics - Dashboards and Stories
IBM® Cognos® Analytics provides dashboards and stories to communicate your insights and analysis. You can assemble a view that contains visualizations such as a graph, chart, plot, table, map, or any other visual representation of data.
Creating a dashboard or story
If you're new to dashboards and stories, review the following steps to understand the general workflow to create a view.
- Click the Open menu icon , and then click New.
- Click Dashboard or click Story.
- Select a template. Cognos Analytics provides templates that contain predefined layouts and grid lines to help with arrangement and alignment of the visualizations in a view.
- Add visualizations to your view in one or more of the following ways:
- If you know the data that you want to see, but are not sure about how to present it, click Select a source to add data to the Selected sources pane. Then, drag columns onto the canvas. Cognos Analytics displays them in the appropriate visualization.
- If you know the type of visualization you want to use, select the visualization type and then add columns to it.
- Drag your collected visualizations from the My pins pane to quickly build a dashboard or story.
- Limit the data that is displayed by filtering in one or more of the following ways:
- You can filter individual visualizations or on all visualizations in the view.
- You can even filter on a column that is not displayed in the visualization by using a context filter.
- You can select a specific value or a range of values.
- Enhance your view and draw attention to visualizations by adding text, images, media, and web pages.
- Personalize your view by changing the theme. You can choose a light or dark theme. You can also customize specific visualization properties such as fill and border color, and opacity.
- Create more meaningful or complex visualizations by adding columns to an existing visualization. Drag another column onto a visualization and it changes to match the new data added.
- You can undo and redo your last actions in succession. The ability to undo and redo previous actions is available until you close the view.
- Test the view.