Installing Jupyter Notebook Server on Microsoft Windows 10
You can now install IBM® Cognos® Analytics for Jupyter Notebook Server for Microsoft Windows 10 either on the same computer or on a different computer from where Cognos Analytics is installed.
The Jupyter Notebook Server supports Linux and Microsoft Windows 10 platforms and requires Docker to be installed.
When you download and run the installer script, you load and start Docker containers. These containers allow Cognos Analytics users to create and edit Jupyter Notebook. By default, Cognos Analytics for Jupyter Server is configured with many of the most common data science/analytic Python packages. In Cognos Analytics on Premises 11.1.2+, Jupyter Server includes packages from versions of PixieDust.
Before you begin
Before you install Jupyter Notebook Server, follow these steps:
- Verify that the Hyper-V Platform is running so that Linux containers can
run on a windows host.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click Programs.
- Click Turn Windows Features on or off.
- Find and expand the Hyper-V option.
- Ensure that the Hyper-V Platform is checked.
- Install Docker as the container engine for Jupyter Notebook.
Follow the Microsoft Windows 10 procedures at Installing Docker Desktop for WindowsImportant: The Jupyter server requires that Docker use Linux containers. If your Docker Desktop installation was configured to use Windows containers, do one of the following tasks:
- Right-click the Docker icon in the bottom-right corner of the window and then select the option to switch to Linux containers.
- Re-install Docker Desktop, ensuring that you do not select the option to use Windows containers instead of Linux containers.
You must be added to the Docker group for any Docker command to run without root privileges.
- Set the fully qualified domain in Cognos Configuration.
- In IBM Cognos Configuration, in the Explorer window, click Environment.
- Under the Dispatcher URI for external applications set the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for the IBM Cognos Analytics server.
- Under the Gateway URI set the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for the IBM Cognos Analytics server.
- Click File > Save.
- Restart the Cognos Analytics service.
- Download the IBM
Cognos Analytics for Jupyter Notebook
Server installer and Server repository from Passport Advantage. Tip: See the Cognos Analytics 11.1.5 Download Document to find out which part number to download.
- Double click the installer file.
- Follow the directions in the installation wizard to copy and install the files to your
computer. Tip: You can install on top of an older version of Jupyter Server.The folder jupyter_installation_location/dist folder contains two subfolders:
- dist/scriptsTip: The folder dist/scripts/windows contains all the scripts and configuration files for windows installations.
Purpose build.bat Run this to rebuild the images. config.conf Edit this configuration file to change Jupyter parameters. install.bat Run this to load and start the Docker containers. prune.bat Run this to remove old Docker images. startup.bat Run this to start the Jupyter server. stop.bat Run this to stop the Jupyter server. uninstall.bat Run this to uninstall Jupyter server.
- Open a command prompt window with administrator privileges.
- Navigate to the dist/scripts/windows directory.
- Type ./install.bat
The install script runs.
What to do next
Uninstalling Jupyter Notebook Server
To uninstall Jupyter Notebook Server, open a command prompt window with administrator privileges and navigate to the dist/scripts/windows directory and then type ./uninstall.bat