Collecting and analyzing performance data about a report
You can use Cognos Analytics Interactive Performance Assistant (IPA) to obtain and analyze detailed performance data about your reports.
By selecting the Include performance details option, you activate IPA so that it will collect data when you run your report.
Before you begin
About this task
The performance data for your report is captured in the IPA database when you run your report. The performance reports referenced in the steps below are located in Team content > ZIPI > Interactive Performance Assistant.
- In Team content, navigate to your report and click it to open it.
- Click the Edit icon to go in Author mode.
- Select the chevron next to the run button and select Show run options.
- Enable the Include performance details option and click OK.
- Click the Run HTML icon .
- If you want to run a specific page of the report, go to Report >
Pages, select the page and then click the Run page icon .
When the report is finished running, its HTML output appears on a new tab.
The page looks the same as if you had not selected Include performance details, except that for each object created from a query result, this text appears as a blue label:
Execution Time: nnn ms,
where nnn is the time, in milliseconds, for the query to run plus the time for the object to be rendered.
In addition, a blue link appears at the bottom of the page, giving the total execution time for the report:, as follows
The current date
Total Execution Time [Request Id: request_id]: nnnn ms,
where nnnn is the time, in milliseconds
- Click the link Total Execution Time [Request Id:
request_id]: nnnn ms. The Process Time report appears. It lists the processes that ran during the report run and their execution times in milliseconds.
- Copy the ZIPI ID value to a Notepad file. Tip: If you navigate later to one of the performance reports in Team content > ZIPI > Interactive Performance Assistant, you may need to select the ZIPI ID for the report run you're interested in.
- Click the Request sequence chart button. The Request sequence Gantt chart appears. By default, it shows the start and end times of all the processes that ran during the report run. Processes shown include the following:
- Java process – Content Manager, presents the output in the viewer.
- BIBusTKServerMain process – Output (HTML) generation. (Also query planning and execution for CQM.)
- dataset-service - java process – Plans, executes the query, and generates a result set. (Not applicable to CQM.)
- A report running with Compatible Query Mode (CQM) does not display the dataset-service - java process, as this processing is performed in the BIBusTKServerMain process.
- Firefox might not display the Gantt chart properly.
- If you want to see the Request sequence Gantt chart for a specific set of criteria, select the filters that you want.
- Click the Process time button, and then click a link in the
Process Time report. The Service time report appears. It lists the services that ran for the selected process and their execution times in milliseconds.
- Click a link in the Service time report. The Action time report appears. It lists the actions that ran for the selected service and their execution times in milliseconds.
- Click a link in the Action time report. The Object path time report appears. It lists the objects that ran for the selected action and their execution times in milliseconds.