The Content view shows objects that are created and managed in Cognos® Analytics.
The objects such as dashboards, stories, reports, explorations, notebooks, and more, can be considered primary content types. In addition to these primary content types, there are objects such as folders, data modules, packages, uploaded files, jobs, schedules, events, URLs, shortcuts, and more, that users and administrators create or import to provide data, and manage the content.
To access the content view, click the Open menu icon in the application bar, and select the Content option. The following page is opened:
The page shows the following tabs (folders):
- Team content
- This is the main folder where all shared application content is stored. The items in
Team content are public and available to all Cognos
users with proper permissions. Tip: If you create a data module using data from an uploaded file and you want the data to be available to other users, store both the data module and the file in Team content. This ensures that other users can access a report, dashboard, or story that references the data in the file. This restriction applies to report authors and consumers. Administrators can run reports that use data from any user's My content folder.
- My content
- Items in this folder are private, and only you can see them.
- This folder is available when product samples are installed.
- External content
- This folder is available when the Watson Studio URL is configured in the Manage administration component.
- This folder contains your favorite items. To mark an item as your favorite, click the unfilled heart icon for the item. The icon changes to the filled heart . Or, from the item context menu , click Add to favorites.
- Custom folders
- Custom folders are created by administrators for specific user roles. If such folders exist, they are displayed on separate tabs. Only members of roles with permissions for a specific folder can view the folder.
The contents of each folder can be displayed in the List view or Tiles view (default).
To open an item, click it. The item is opened in the related user interface. For example, a dashboard is opened in the Dashboarding user interface, and a data module - in the modeling interface.
To work with items in the content view, use one of the following user interface elements:
- Actions toolbar
- This toolbar is available in both List view and Tiles view.
- Use the toolbar options to organize and find items in folders, change the content view display, add subfolders and URLs. For example, click the Settings icon to change the row size in the list view, or the Tiles view icon to change the display of items from list to tiles.
- The options in the toolbar depend on which and how many items are selected. For example, the following options are available for an uploaded file.
- Action menu
- This menu is available for each content item in both List view and Tiles view. Select an individual item, and click its Action menu icon . The menu contains a complete list of actions that are available for the selected item, based on the user permissions. From this menu, you can edit an item, view its properties or details pane, add a shortcut, or delete the item.
- The Action menu is also referred to as a context menu.
- Details pane
- The Details option is available for all types of items in the content view, from the actions toolbar or from the context menu . The following example shows the Details pane for a report.
- The Details pane provides the item metadata, allows to share the item, and perform item-specific actions.
- Creating new content and uploading files
- You can create new content and upload files directly from the content view by using the following buttons at the top of the page:
- You can also use the Create option in the Details pane.