Compiling the updated resource files
Before you can deploy updated files, you must download the Resource File Generator (Resgen.exe). The Resource File Generator converts .txt files and .resx (XML-based resource format) files to common language runtime binary .resources files that you can embed in a runtime binary executable or compile into satellite assemblies.
The Resource File Generator is a Microsoft .NET Framework Software Development Kit (SDK) program that generates compiled resource files. The resgen executable is shipped with the Microsoft .NET SDK and comes with Microsoft Visual Studio development system. You must choose a version of the Resource File Generator that is compatible with the version of .NET Framework that is used by IBM® Cognos® Office components.
Resgen.exe performs the following conversions:
- Converts .txt files to .resources or .resx files.
- Converts .resources files to text or .resx files.
- Converts .resx files to text or .resources files.
- Download the resgen.exe from the Microsoft .NET developer Web site.
- After downloading the Resource File Generator, open a command prompt window.
- Find the location where Resgen was downloaded.
For example, cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\v2.0\Bin
- To compile the resource files, from the command prompt,
resgen /compile "[resx file location]\[file name.resx]"
For example, resgen /compile "c:\ProgramFiles\Cognos\Cafe\resources\cormsgs.resx"
Resource files are automatically renamed to include the .resource extension in their file name.
- Copy the resulting files to the Resources directory.