Setting up drill-through to a report
Using drill-through, you can navigate from a visualization in a dashboard or a story to a related report while retaining the original context of the visualization.
For example, you examine revenue by product line in a visualization in your dashboard. If drill-through is defined for your visualization, you can navigate to a report that shows the revenue by product line for the past four years.
To enable drill-through for a visualization, you create one or more drill-through definitions that link the visualization to related target reports. The drill-through definitions can be shared with all visualizations in the dashboard that use the same source or can be specific to an individual visualization.
When you drill through from a visualization, the dashboard determines the context to be applied for each of the columns in the drill-through definition:
- If a column value is selected in the visualization or in another visualization on the same tab, using the same data source and within the same event group, this value is passed to the drill-through definition.
- If a column has a local filter defined in the visualization, but no selection in any visualization on the same tab, with the same data source and event group, the local filter is passed to the drill-through definition.
- A local filter on another visualization is never passed as part of the context of a drill-through definition.
- If a column has no value selected in any visualization on the same tab, with the same data source and event group, or a local filter of the visualization, the context for a column is the combination of the All tabs and This tab filters.
- If a measure column is assigned a source in a drill-through target, the value of the column is ignored. When you drill through to the target, you are prompted for a value for the associated prompt.
There are some restrictions on the context passed to a drill-through definition:
- If the prompt of a target report is a range filter and multiple column values are selected in the visualization, only the first value is passed to the target report.
- An exclude filter in a visualization is never passed as context to a drill-through.
- If a dashboard drill-through does not provide the value for a parameter in a target report, the value is obtained from the global parameter with the same name as the parameter, if one exists.