Performing calculations on measures and create a new column
If you want to compute with values that are the result of an aggregation, then you can create calculations based on measures.
For example, you can create a calculation by adding a fixed value to a measure. The following example adds 1 million to the Total Claim Amount measure.
You can use a calculation based on measures only in the dashboard where you created the calculation. It is not stored with the data asset.
The calculation is added to a slot in the visualization as a new measure. This does not have to be the same slot as from where you created the calculation.
- Expand the visualization.
- Beside a measure, click the More icon , and click Calculation.
- In the Create calculation dialog box, provide a name for your calculation.
- You can use these mathematical operations: addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (*), division (/), percentage (%), or percentage change (% change).
- Use the Calculate after aggregation option to set whether the calculation is run before or after the aggregation.
- Click OK. If you want to add the calculated measure to the slot you created the calculation from, then drag the calculated measure to that slot.