Creating navigation paths
A navigation path is a collection of non-measure columns that business users might associate for data exploration.
When a data module contains navigation paths, the dashboard or report users can drill down and back to change the focus of their analysis by moving between levels of information. The users can drill down from column to column in the navigation path by either following the order of columns in the navigation path, or by choosing the column to which they want to proceed.
A data module can have multiple navigation paths. The navigation paths are saved in the Navigation paths folder at the top of the data module tree. This folder is created by default when the data module is created.
About this task
You can create a navigation path with columns that are logically related, such as year, month, quarter, week. You can also create a navigation path with columns that are not logically related, such as product, customer, state, city.
Columns from different tables can be added to a navigation path. The same column can be added to multiple navigation paths.
- At the top of the data module tree, find the Navigation paths
folder, and click the plus icon next to it.
The Create navigation path dialog box is displayed.
From the data module tree, select the columns that you want to include in the navigation path.
Drag or double-click the columns to add them to the navigation path.
- To add different columns, drag the columns from the data module tree to the navigation path. You can multi-select columns and drag them all at once.
- To remove columns, click the remove icon for the column.
- To change the order of columns, drag them up or down.
- To change the navigation path name, overwrite the existing name.
The default name of the navigation path includes names of the first and last columns in the path. The default name reacts to the changed order of columns. You can change this name. If you overwrite the default name, it does no longer change when you modify the navigation path definition. The name cannot be blank.
- Click OK.
The new navigation path is added within the Navigation paths folder.
To modify a navigation path, expand the Navigation paths folder, and
locate the navigation path that you want to edit.
- From its context menu , click Edit navigation path.
- Make the required changes, and click OK.
- To remove a navigation patch, click the Remove action from the context menu.
- Save the data module to preserve the navigation path that you added.
The navigation path is added to the Navigation paths folder in the data module tree. The following screen capture shows two navigation path Retailer codes and Retailer address.
You can expand each navigation path to view the columns that it contains.
If you select the icon Identify navigation path members in the data module toolbar, the columns that are members of any navigation path are underlined.
The navigation path is also added to the Navigation paths tab in the data module properties. This is the alternative user interface to work with the navigation paths.