Adding a map to a dashboard
When you use a map in a dashboard, you can show data for one location measure, either as a filled region, a point, or both.
You must have access to the IBM Cognos samples. This procedure uses the IBM Cognos GO Sales sample data. If your administrator installed these samples, they are in .
Before you begin
About this task
This procedure shows you how to create a map that shows revenue by region and gross profit as points.
Note: Other names for a map are polygon, filled region, and choropleth.
Create the map and add revenue by region.
- Click New and then click Dashboard.
- Leave the default values in the Select a template window and click OK.
- In the left pane, click the Visualizations icon , and then click the Map icon.
- In the left pane, click Sources, and then click Add a Source.
- Click Add. and click
- Expand Revenue to the Location color data slot., and drag
- Expand Branch and drag City to the
Locations data slot. The map is populated and a yellow triangle displays in the upper right corner of the map.Tip: Zoom in and zoom out of the map to see more or less detail. Click and drag to move around the map.
- Click the yellow triangle. A window displays the unresolved locations information. There are two types of unresolved locations: ambiguous region and unrecognized location. To resolve the first problem, add categories to refine the locations. For example, add Province or state and Country to the Location data slot. To resolve the second problem, cleanse your data by renaming the locations.
- To add points to the map, drag measures to the Point size and Point color data slots.
- Save the dashboard when you're done.