Getting started with Cognos Analytics
IBM Cognos Analytics integrates reporting, modeling, analysis, dashboards, stories, and event management so that you can understand your organization's data, and make effective business decisions.
After Cognos Analytics is installed and configured, administrators set up security and connect data sources. You can get started yourself by uploading local files and creating visualizations in dashboards or stories. For enterprise-level data, modelers are next in the workflow. After data modules and packages are available, report authors can then create reports for business users and analysts. Administrators maintain the system on an ongoing basis.
Whether you're an analyst, report author, data modeler, or an administrator, you start by signing in to the Cognos Analytics portal from your desktop or mobile device. There are coach marks in the user interface to help you discover what's where.
For links to videos, getting started resources, expert blogs, events, and more, you can visit the IBM Cognos Analytics community (https://community.ibm.com/community/user/businessanalytics/communities/community-home?CommunityKey=6b10df83-0b3c-4f92-8b1f-1fd80d0e7e58).
If you want to start with video tutorials and sample data, see Get started video tutorials and samples.
- Welcome portal
- Search for content in Team content, My content, or Recent lists; open reports, dashboards, stories and other items; upload files, check your notifications, set your preferences and home page, and review your schedules and subscriptions.
- Delete, copy, move, edit or run entries such as reports.
- Create report views for reports without opening the Reporting component.
- Create shortcuts to reports, dashboards, stories, or data modules.
- Set access permissions.
- Start creating new content such as reports, dashboards, or stories by clicking New .
- Create and edit a wide range of professional reports. Use templates or customize your reports with prompts, bursting, advanced charts and visualizations.
- You enter the IBM Cognos Analytics - Reporting user interface from the Cognos Analytics portal by opening an existing report from Team content or My content, or by clicking New , and then Report.
For more information, see the Cognos Analytics Reporting Guide.
- Dashboards and stories
- View, monitor, and communicate data insights and analysis with dashboards or stories. You can assemble a view that contains visualizations such as graphs, charts, plots, tables, maps, or any other visual representation of data. Enrich dashboards and stories with web pages and other content.
- You enter the IBM Cognos Analytics dashboards or stories user interface from the Cognos Analytics portal by opening an existing dashboard from Team content or My content, or by clicking New , and then Dashboard or Story.
For more information, see the Cognos Analytics Dashboards and Stories User Guide.
Explore is a flexible workspace where you can discover and analyze data. You can also explore an existing visualization from a dashboard or story. Uncover hidden relationships and identify patterns that turn your data into insights.
- You enter the IBM
Exploration user interface from the Cognos
portal by opening an existing Exploration from Team content or My
content, or by clicking New
, and then Exploration.
For more information, see the Cognos Analytics Explorations User Guide.
- If IBM Cognos Analytics Jupyter Notebook is enabled in Cognos Analytics, you can work with notebook documents, also referred to as notebooks, much like with other content in Cognos Analytics.
- You enter the notebook user interface from the Cognos Analytics portal by opening an existing notebook from Team content or My content, or by clicking New , and then Notebook.
For more information, see Getting started with Notebook.
- Data modules
- Modelers and administrators create data modules and make them available to users for use with reports, dashboards, or stories. You can use the IBM Cognos Analytics web modeling interface to quickly create data modules from various sources, such as data servers, uploaded files, packages, and previously saved data modules. The tool is intent-driven and AI-infused and generates a data module by using keywords that you define.
- You enter the IBM Cognos Analytics web modeling user interface from the Cognos Analytics portal by opening an existing data module from Team content or My content, or by clicking New , and then Data module.
For more information, see the Cognos Analytics Data Modeling Guide.
- Manage and administer
- Create and manage accounts (users, groups, and roles), schedules, or data server connections. Perform configuration tasks, and customize the product experience and user interface.
- You enter the IBM Cognos Analytics administration user interface from the Cognos Analytics portal by clicking Manage, and then selecting the tabs that represent the different administration areas, such as Data server connections or Configuration. To access the legacy administration tool for more options, tap Administration console.
- Changes that you make in either the Manage interface or the Administration console affect both interfaces.
For more information, see Cognos Analytics Managing Guide and the Cognos Analytics Administration and Security Guide.