Stock heat map visualization
The sample stock heat map is a custom visualization that provides a visual representation of stock market data.
About this task
For more information about the stock heat map custom visualization sample on IBM Accelerator Catalog, see https://community.ibm.com/accelerators/catalog/content/Stock-heat-map.
To view the source code and packed bundle (.zip file) for the stock heat map sample custom visualization, go to this public GitHub repository. To download the files, navigate to the root of this directory and click Clone or download.
- Provides at a glance visual representation of market data.
- View the performance of different market slices, sectors, asset classes, or individual stocks.
- Compares the stock market of a specific country to that of another nation.
- Represents data values in different colors to help you quickly focus on the information you need.
Stock heat map visualizations are supported as of IBM® Cognos® Analytics 11.1.6
- You can download the packed bundle (.zip file) and upload it directly into IBM Cognos Analytics.
- You can download the source code to create your own version of it to pack and upload into Cognos Analytics.
The following steps demonstrate how to use the stock heat map visualization and populate it with data.
- Create a dashboard and click the Visualization icon in the toolbar.
- Click the Custom tab. If there are no custom visuals available, then you can add a custom visual by clicking the Add a custom visual icon on the Custom tab.
- From the Custom visuals pane, select the stock heat map custom visualization.
- Use the following data source: Team content > Samples > By industry > Financial markets > Data > Stock market indices
Create the stock heat map visualization by dragging the following data items from
StockMarket_1990_2019_Measures_as_1column.xlsx in the
Sources pane :
- Drag Country onto the Hierarchy field.
- Drag Industry below Country onto the Hierarchy field. Groups for country are created.
- Create a filter for Industry and exclude All.
- Drag Sector below Industry onto the Hierarchy field.
- Drag Security below Sector onto the Hierarchy field.
- Drag Price onto the Size field.
- Drag Price onto the Heat field.
- Drag Date onto to the This tab filter area. Select
2019-01-01and click OK. .