Creating a Slack application
In Slack, create an application so that you can connect to Slack from within Cognos® Analytics.
Before you begin
- Go to https://api.slack.com/apps
- Sign into the slack account for your company.
- Click Create New App.
- In the Create a Slack App dialog, enter a name for your application, for example, type Cognos Analytics, and select Development Slack Workspace.
- Select the workspace that you signed in to.
Click Create App.
The Slack application is created
- On the Slack API page, click the Basic information tab and scroll down to the App Credentials section.
Make a note of both the Client ID and the Client
Secret values. You will need them when configuring Slack in Cognos Analytics.
Tip: Click the Show button in each field to see the values.
- In the Features section, click OAuth & Permissions.
In the Redirect URLs section, add the following Redirect URL:
where ca_servername:port is the fully qualified name and port number of your Cognos Analytics server.Tip: You can configure multiple redirect URLs. This allows you to use the same Slack application in multiple Cognos Analytics environments, for example,
- Click Add.
- Click Save URLs.
If you don't have administration access to your Slack workspace, follow these steps:
- Go to the Scopes section and, in the Select Permission Scopes field, select Access your workspace’s profile information users:read.
- Click Save changes.
- Scroll up to the OAuth Tokens & Redirect URLs section and
click on Request approval.
After your request is approved by the Slack admin, you receive a message from slackbot indicating that your request was approved. The Install app to workspace button appears in the OAuth & Permissions section of your app.
- Click Install app to workspace.
Confirm that your Slack workspace is working.
- If not done already, install Slack on your computer.
- Sign into your Slack app using the email account and password that you used to create the Slack app.
Test your Slack workspace.
Tip: For information about setting up and using Slack, see the documentation available at www.slack.com.