Heat map layer in a map
When you use a map in a dashboard, you can interact with different map layers to customize how a map is displayed. You can visualize data by location that uses a heat map layer on a map. The heat map layer is available as a property on both points and latitude and longitude layers.
- Click New and then click Dashboard.
- Leave the default values in the Select a template window and click OK.
- In the left pane, click the Visualizations icon , and then click the Map icon.
- In the left pane, click Sources, and then click Add a Source. Select a data source that contains longitude and latitude data.
- In the visualization, expand and select Longitude/Longitude.
- In the left pane, expand your data items and drag latitude and longitude data to the Latitude and Longitude data slots.
- Drag a measure to the Size data slot.
- Click the Show properties icon , and open the Latitude/Longitude layer section.
- From the Type menu, select Heat.
- From the Heat weight menu, select one of the next
Option Description Equal The size of the points is equal. By color slot The size of the points is controlled by the measurement in the color slot. By size slot The size of the points is controlled by the measurement in the size slot.
- Optionally you can change the heat palette with the Heat pallete option and change the transparency with the Transparency slider.
The following example shows latitude / longitude data that is combined with heat as type. The size of the points resembles the elevation of the locations.