Creating data sets
Create a data set to group a customized collection of items that you use frequently.
Data sets can be created from packages or data modules.
- Navigate to a package or data module in Team content or My content.
- From the package or data module context menu , tap Create data set.
- Drag the data items from the source pane to the data set editor pane. The items appear as columnar data in a similar fashion to a list report.
For relational data or data modules, select the Summarize detailed values,
suppressing duplicates check box.
If you are not sure if this check box should be selected, clear the check box to see how the data is aggregated in the edit window. Condensed data that is set into fewer rows usually leads to better performing reports and dashboards. A reason for not aggregating the data in your data set is that you lose some details in the process, and the data from one system might not match the data from another system. This is especially true for calculations, such as an average.
- To add filters to the columns or individual items of the data set, tap the item and then tap . You can add a customized filter or use one of the preset options.
- For data with prompts, tap Reprompt to choose values or enter different values.
If your data set is very large, you can tap the Page views icon and toggle between the two settings:
- Tap Page design to avoid delays in data retrieval.
- Tap Page preview when you want to see the refreshed data.
After you are done adding columns, tap the save icon .
- To save the data set for the first time or to save changes to the data set, from the drop-down list tap Save. This option saves the metadata, but does not load the data. Depending on the data set, loading data may take some time.
- To save an updated data set to a new data set, from the drop-down list tap Save as. This option saves the metadata, but does not load the data. Depending on the data set, loading data may take some time.
- To save the data set and load the data, from the drop-down list tap Save and load data. In addition to saving new or changed metadata, this option loads data. This data is immediately available when you use it in the creation of a dashboard or story.
- In the Save as window, choose where to save the data set. In the Save as box, type a name, and then tap Save.
To create a data set while building a dashboard, perform the following steps:
- Create a new dashboard, choose a template, and tap OK.
- Tap to add some data.
- Navigate to a package by tapping Team content, and then tap Open.
The Create data set window appears. You can create a new data set and
after you save it, you can continue to build your dashboard.
If you need to modify the data set, you can also do that from within the dashboard by expanding the data sources.
What to do next
If a data set is based on a package with multiple connections or signons, the connection or signon that you choose is saved with the data set. If the package connection information changes later, users might see the ambiguous connection message. To avoid this message, edit the data set, choosing the connection or signon that you want, and save the data set using the Save as option. Select yes when asked whether you want to overwrite the data set. The data set is saved with this information and its subsequent refreshes use the same information.