Getting started with curating and governing data
To get started with curating and governing data, understand the overall workflows, choose a tutorial, and check out other learning resources for working in Cloud Pak for Data.
If you are working with your own Watson Knowledge Catalog Lite plan, you can create one catalog with 50 assets, five business terms, and one data protection rule. You are also the owner of the only category for organizing governance artifacts like data classes and business terms.
If you are working in your organization's account with a Watson Knowledge Catalog Standard, Enterprise, or Professional plan, you must have specific roles and permissions for curating data and creating governance artifacts like data classes and business terms.
Overview of the curating data and governing data workflows
Prerequisites You need specific roles and permissions.
Your governing data workflow has these basic steps:
- For a data protection rule, specify how to identify the type of data to mask and the masking method. The rule is enforced immediately.
- For all other types of governance artifacts:
- Create the draft governance artifacts in a category.
- Publish the governance artifacts.
Each of these tutorials provides a description of the tool, a video, the instructions, and additional learning resources:
|Tutorial||Description||Expertise for tutorial|
|Protect data with data protection rules||Create a rule to mask sensitive data.||Select conditions for masking criteria.
- Videos for data stewards that show common data steward tasks in Watson Knowledge Catalog.
- Watson Knowledge Catalog Methodology is an IBM Training e-Learning course that provides an in-depth look at Watson Knowledge Catalog.