Cloud Pak for Business Automation is a platform that works with specific versions of other software. Before you upgrade the Cloud Pak containers, it is necessary to upgrade these dependencies to the new supported versions.
About this task
Before you start your upgrade of Cloud Pak for Business Automation, make sure that you review and complete the following prerequisites.
- If you installed a previous version of Cloud Pak for Business Automation on OpenShift Cloud
Platform (OCP) (4.4 or 4.5), you must upgrade to OCP 4.6+. The upgrade of OCP might get stuck by the
PodDisruptionBudget(PDB) in many of the deployed Cloud Pak capabilities. If the pod has a
StatefulSetcontroller, the pods are not terminated by OCP after the upgrade. To mitigate the problem, you can do 1 of 2 things:
- Scale down the Cloud Pak operator to replica 0, delete the PDB objects before the upgrade, and scale the operator back up to replica 1 after the upgrade.
- Delete the pods that are stuck when you see that nodes are rebooted during the upgrade.
21.0.2 Upgrade IBM Cloud® Platform Common Services, which involves applying
the new catalog source YAML, and then upgrading from 3.7.1 to 3.8. For more information, see Upgrading common services from an operator release.
For 21.0.1 Upgrade IBM Cloud Platform Common Services, which involves applying the new catalog source YAML, and then upgrading from 3.6.3 to 3.7.1. For more information, see Upgrading common services from an operator release.
21.0.2 Upgrade the IBM Automation
Foundation Core and IBM Automation Foundation subscriptions to the v1.1 channel.
- From the OCP console switch to the namespace where the Cloud Pak is installed.
- Click Installed Operators, and select IBM Automation Foundation Core.
- Under the Subscription tab, switch the channel from
v1.0 to v1.1 and save the change.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the IBM Automation Foundation operator.
When the upgrade is finished, both of the operators show the version as 1.1.0.
- Upgrade the IBM Automation Foundation event detection subscriptions to the v1.1 channel.
- Expand Operators in the navigation menu, and click Installed Operators.
- In the Project field, provide the namespace in which you installed IBM Automation Foundation. In the Resource field, enter Subscription. On the Subscription page, click ibm-automation-eventprocessing-v1.0 and then click the Subscription tab, which shows the details for the IBM Automation Foundation Event Processing Operator.
- Select v1.1 in the Channel section and click Save in the Change Subscription Update Channel dialog.
- Repeat step 5 for the IBM Automation Foundation Flink Operator (ibm-automation-flink-v1.0), the IBM Automation Foundation Elastic Operator (ibm-automation-elastic-v1.0), and the IBM Automation Foundation AI Operator (ibm-automation-ai-v1.0).
- The Kafka server, such as IBM Event Streams, that you installed for use with a previous version of Cloud Pak for Business Automation is no longer needed. When IBM Business Automation Insights is configured for deployment, a Kafka server is automatically deployed together with the Cloud Pak. For more information about the Kafka configuration in the custom resource definition, see the Custom resources page of the IBM Automation foundation.
What to do next
You can also uninstall the Common Services Metering service as it is now deprecated. For more information, see Uninstalling the Metering service.
The common-service project that is used by the Common Services is no longer used, so you can also delete it.