Running and testing the probe
Run the probe and ensure it is communicating with the NMS or EMS correctly.
To run and test the probe:
- Start the probe from the command line, specifying the minimum message level of debug and that an
initial resynchronization is to occur. For
$OMNIHOME/probes/nco_p_generic_tmf814 -messagelog stdout -messagelevel debug -initialresync true
- Ensure that the probe connects to the target system successfully. Look for the following message
in the probe's log file:
Information: I-JPR-000-000: Probe connectedIf the probe fails to connect:
- Check and adjust the properties related to setting up a connection. See Connecting to the CORBA interface for information on the connection properties and how to set them.
- Ensure that any firewall between the probe host and the NMS or EMS is configured to allow traffic to pass from one end to the other in both directions.
- Check that the probe successfully synchronizes with the NMS or EMS. Look for messages similar to
the following in the probe's log
Debug: D-JPR-000-000: Send request for active alarms Debug: D-JPR-000-000: Successfully retrieved batch of 100 resync alarms. Information: I-JPR-000-000: Parsing alarm Debug: D-JPR-000-000: Resync alarms will be returned in batches, using iterator Debug: D-JPR-000-000: Fetching batch of alarms
Troubleshoot any synchronization errors, including the values of the synchronization properties. See Alarm retrieval and synchronization for information on synchronization.
- Check that the probe correctly parses alarms with the Event Processor. Check for any unsupported
types for event parsing. For
Debug: D-UNK-000-000: [Event Processor] nativeProbableCause: HP_REI Debug: D-UNK-000-000: [Event Processor] neTime: 20120626071005.0Z Debug: D-UNK-000-000: [Event Processor] EventName: Debug: D-UNK-000-000: [Event Processor] notificationId: Debug: D-UNK-000-000: [Event Processor] perceivedSeverity: 1 Debug: D-UNK-000-000: [Event Processor] DomainName: tmf_mtnm Debug: D-UNK-000-000: [Event Processor] probableCauseQualifier: 1-79 Debug: D-UNK-000-000: [Event Processor] objectTypeQualifier: Debug: D-UNK-000-000: [Event Processor] layerRate: 15
- Check the log file for errors that occur from parsing unsupported types of event. For
Cannot parse event attribute 'X.733:CorrelatedNotifications' with type  and content description: Sequence
Check also for attributes having a null value or one that shows as
- Check that events appear in the Event List and that they contain the expected elements and
Modify the rules file if the values in the Event List do not meet your requirements.