Support for Unicode and non-Unicode characters
The probe can process multibyte characters such as Unicode UTF-8, GB, Big5, or Shift-JIS.
Use the following procedure to set up the probe to process multibyte characters:
- Ensure that the device or EMS is configured to send data in the required format (for example, UTF-8).
- Set the required locale on the system that runs the probe:
Table 1. Setting the locale for multibyte characters Operating system Procedure to set the locale
Linux and Unix
Set the locale by changing the values of the LANG and LC_ALL environment variables. For example, to set the locale to simplified Chinese in UTF-8, use the following commands:
export LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 export LC_ALL=zh_CN.UTF-8
- Open the Control Panel and double click on Regional and Language.
- On the Formats tab, select the language from the list in Format.
- On the Administrative tab, click Change system locale.
- Select the language from the list in Current System Locale.
- Click OK.
- Click OK.
- Configure the ObjectServer to enable the insertion of data that uses the required character set. The IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus Administration Guide shows how to create, configure, and run an ObjectServer in UTF-8 mode or using another character set.
- Run the probe or, if it is already running, restart the probe.
When running the probe on a Windows system using a UTF-8 character set, always specify the -utf8enabled command line option. For all other character sets, do not use the -utf8enabled command line option.