Preinstallation on Linux systems
You must complete the required preinstallation tasks before you install agents on Linux systems. Some preinstallation tasks are agent-specific and other tasks apply to multiple agents.
The following preinstallation tasks are applicable to all agents:
- Non-root user installation
- You must have read, write, and execute permissions for the installation directory. Otherwise, the installation is canceled. For more information about non-root user installation, see Installing agents as a non-root user.
- 70-character limitation for installation path
- The installation directory and the path to it must be no more than 70 characters.
Specific operating systems
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 8
- The libnsl.so.1 package is needed on RHEL 8
By default, libnsl.so.1 is not installed in Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.0. Without this package, no agent can be installed successfully. Have your administrator set up a yum repository for you, and then run this command:
After successful installation, you can see /usr/lib64/libnsl.so.1.
yum install libnslNote: The libnsl.so.1 package is required only for agents. You do not need to do this step for data collectors.
- Bypassing the prerequisite scanner for some agents
Before the prerequisite scanner is updated for the latest supported release, for some agents, you can bypass the prerequisite scanner to have this supported release sooner. For suitable scenarios and instructions, see Bypassing the prerequisite scanner.Note: You do not need to do this step for data collectors.
The following preinstallation tasks are applicable to the specified agents:
- DataPower® agent
- You must run the ulimit -d unlimited command to ensure that the max data segment size system environment variable is set to unlimited. This agent cannot be installed on the same machine as the DataPower Appliance that you want to monitor.
- Oracle Database agent
- The Oracle Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) driver that supports the monitored Oracle database versions is required. Install the Oracle JDBC driver from Oracle Database JDBC driver downloads.
- WebSphere® Applications agent
- Before the agent is installed, the prerequisite checker checks that ulimit is set to 524000 on the Linux system. You must run the ulimit -d 524000 command to ensure that the max data segment size system environment variable is set to 524000.