Create an item with variations
You are able to create an item with variations on the Create Item screen.
About this task
To create an item with variations:
- Navigate to the Create Item screen.
To Navigate to the Create Item screen, perform the following steps:
- Log in to IBM Sterling Business Center as an Item Administrator.
- The application home page is displayed. Click the Products tab.
- From the Products home page,
click New Item in the Catalog dashlet.
The Create Item screen is displayed.
- In the Create Item screen, perform the following
- Select the Item With Variation radio button.
- Click the Search icon adjacent
the item field. The item field that is displayed depends on the field
that is selected in the classification management. For example, the
item field may be Item Type*, or Product Type*, or any
other item field.
Perform the following steps in the Classification Hierarchy dialog box that is displayed. This dialog box is displayed only when you have created a classification with the purpose, Distinct Attribute, and assigned various values to the classification.
i. From the Classification Hierarchy tree, select the value.
ii. Click Select.
The selected value is displayed in the box adjacent the item field.
- In the Item ID* box, enter the unique identifier for the item. This identifier cannot be modified after it has been defined.
- From the UOM list, select the
quantity unit of measure you want to associate with the item.
Note: The combination of a unit of measure and item ID is unique. For example, if you sell the same item with the same item ID from a node in the United States and a node in Canada, and the United States uses pounds for the unit of measure and Canada uses kilograms, the two different units of measure associated with the item ID makes two unique items in the system.
- To associate this item to a category, click the Search icon in the Associate to the category box.
- The Category dialog box is displayed.
From the Catalog Hierarchy tree, select the category of the
maintenance catalog to which you want to associate the item, and click Select.
The item is associated to the selected category.
- Click Save.
Note: * indicates that the field is mandatory.
A new item is created, and the Primary Information screen is displayed.
After an item is created, it is a good practice to define the item description, from the Primary Information screen. You can use this item description as a search criteria when you are performing an item search. You can perform the following tasks after an item with variation is created:
- Add an Existing Item as a Child Item to a Variation Item.
- Assigning an Attribute Value to an Item Attribute