Creating a multi-chart widget
You can add multiple charts or widget placeholders to a widget. Thus, a single widget can host multiple widgets. To create a multi-chart widget, you must first edit the layout of a widget to manually draw widget placeholders within it. Each of the widget placeholder functions like any other widget placeholder.
Before you begin
About this task
After you log in to the Dashboard Designer, you can create specialized widgets by using any of the following options on the landing page:
- Click CREATE COMPONENTS, then in the Create Components page, click WIDGETS.
- Click the Expand icon to open the navigation pane of Dashboard Designer, and click .
To create a multi-chart widget, complete the following steps:
In the navigation pane of Dashboard Designer, click .
The New Widget page opens.
Click the Edit
icon that is displayed next to the New Widget, Widget
Description, and Widget Title fields, and enter a name, title,
and description for your widget.
Note: Only alphanumeric characters, spaces, and underscore are supported.
The Gridlines checkbox is selected by default.
If you do not want the grid-line view, clear the checkbox.
- To add multiple widget placeholders to a widget, click the Add/Edit
icon within the widget. The widget displays a toolbar that shows Undo , Redo , Delete , and Reset icons.
- To create widget placeholders, place the pointer in the Draw layout
here area and drag it to create a box.
You can create multiple widget placeholders of different sizes in the widget area. You can move or resize the placeholders. The placeholders cannot overlap each other.
- To go back to the widget view, click the Back To Dashboard Design
icon. A widget with multiple widget placeholders is created. The host widget displays the following icons:
- A Set Properties
to set widget properties.
For more information, see Setting widget properties for all the chart types.
- A Background Image
icon to set a background image.
For more information, see Adding a background image to custom widgets.
- An Add/Edit Layout
icon to edit the layout of the widget.
Use this icon to add, delete, or reorganize child-widgets within the multi-chart widget.
- A Delete icon to delete the multi-chart widget.
- A Set Properties icon to set widget properties.
- Drag a chart, widget template, custom template, custom widget, or specialized widget to the child-widgets. You can also enter an external URL in any of the widget placeholders.
Each widget placeholder within the multi-chart widget displays horizontally and vertically placed More options icons. Click these icons to view the toolbar embedded within them. The widget placeholders function as any other custom widget.
What to do next
- In each of the widget placeholders complete the following tasks and save the multi-chart widget:
- Add and map dashboard-level or widget-level filters.
- Set data definitions, and set widget and chart properties.
- Add a background image.
For more information about all these tasks, see Creating custom widgets.
- You can drag the multi-chart widget to a dashboard, and then publish the dashboard. Note:
- You cannot drag the multi-chart widget to another multi-chart widget that you create within a dashboard.
- You cannot publish the multi-chart widget independently or save it as a template widget.