Migrate Sterling File Gateway resources
You can migrate Sterling File Gateway resources from one system to another. You may have a staging system where you test new Partners and other resources before you migrate them to a production system. You may want to migrate resources from one software version to another.
The Sterling File Gateway instance includes Sterling B2B Integrator resources, Custom Protocols, and Sterling File Gateway Communities, Partners, and Configurations. The Sterling B2B Integrator resources and Custom Protocols do not change often, so you usually only need to migrate them once. The Communities, Partners, and Configurations change frequently. You first migrate everything in your Sterling File Gateway instance, then periodically migrate the things that change.
You migrate resources using a Resource File that is an xml file that contains resources. You can use a Resource Tag to create the Resource File or you can individually select the resources when you create the Resource File.
Resource files created with Resource Tags
- Community Resource Tag
- When you create a Community in Sterling File Gateway, the user interface creates a Resource Tag with that Community name in Sterling B2B Integrator. The Community Resource Tag contains the Community and all of the Partners that belong to the Community. This Community Resource Tag is updated and maintained by the user interface. The Resource Tag is stored in the system, so that you can repeatedly create Resource Files with the same set of resources.
- Custom Resource Tag
- A Custom Resource Tag is one that you create. You add the resources to migrate to the tag and only those resources are in the Resource File. The Resource Tag is saved on the system, so that you can repeatedly create Resource Files with the same set of resources. Custom Resource Tags are not updated by the user interface when Partners are modified, added, or removed from the Community.
Resource files created without Resource Tags
When creating a Resource File, you specify whether to use a Resource Tag. If you specify no Resource Tag, the list of resources you specify for the Resource File is not stored on the system for reuse.
Migrate all of the resources in the Sterling File Gateway instance
- Sterling B2B Integrator Managed Resources
- Custom Protocols
- Sterling File Gateway Community, all of its Partners, and Partner Groups
- Sterling File Gateway Configurations
Migrate specific resources from the Sterling File Gateway instance
After you have migrated all of the resources in the Sterling File Gateway instance, you only have to migrate resources that have changed. The resources that change most often are Partners. Partners belong to Communities and Partner Groups.
When you migrated all of the resources in the Sterling File Gateway instance, you migrated the Communities and Partner Groups. If you only add Partners to existing Communities or Partner Groups in your instance, you can migrate just the Partners.
If you have added Communities or Partner Groups for the Partners, you must migrate those Communities and Partner Groups before you migrate the Partners.