Apache Cassandra is an open source distributed database management system designed to handle large amounts of data across many commodity servers. It provides high availability with no single point of failure. Cassandra offers robust support for clusters spanning multiple data centers, with delayed (asynchronous) masterless replication allowing low latency operations for all clients.
- Decentralized - every nodes has the same role. There is no master node.
- Supports multiple data center replication
- Scalability - read and write throughput increase linearly as new servers are added, with no downtime or interruption to applications
- Fault tolerant - failed nodes can be replaced with no downtime
- Tunable consistency - balance of replication and performance to meet business needs
- Reparability - schedule automatic repairs in the background for data consistency across nodes