Adding attendees for an Eventbrite event as Insightly leads and MailChimp list subscribers
Learn how to use IBM® App Connect Designer to create an event-driven flow that creates an Insightly lead when someone registers for an event in Eventbrite and additionally subscribes the attendee to a MailChimp campaign list.
Your company is using Eventbrite for its event management tasks and wants to publicize an expo to promote the latest product range and offer tickets for the event. Whenever an attendee registers for the expo in Eventbrite, the CRM team want App Connect Designer to automatically add that attendee as a lead in Insightly to help them pursue possible sales opportunities. The Marketing team also want to subscribe new attendees to a MailChimp campaign list so that they can be sent information about future promotions or additions to the product range.
First, find or create everything you need:
- Obtain an App Connect on IBM Cloud® service. You can use an App Connect service that you already have or can sign up for App
In this example, we use a new free App Connect ; Lite plan service.
- Obtain account details for connecting App Connect to your integrating applications:
- (If you haven't already connected App Connect to your Eventbrite account) The email address and password of your Eventbrite account
- (If you haven't already connected App Connect to your Insightly account) Your Insightly API key and the version of the Insightly API that should be used to query and update data in your Insightly instance
- (If you haven't already connected App Connect to your MailChimp account) The user name and password of your MailChimp account.
If you haven't already connected, complete these steps…
Tip: You can also connect to an application when you add it to a flow.
- Go to the Applications tab on the App Connect Catalog page to connect to your Eventbrite, Insightly, and MailChimp accounts.
- If Not connected is shown for Eventbrite, Insightly, or MailChimp, click to expand that row and then click the Connect button to enter the account information.
- If prompted, choose to allow IBM App Connect to access the application's account.
- If you haven't already connected, complete these steps…
- Create a MailChimp list to which you want to subscribe the new attendees:
- Log in to your MailChimp UI using the account that you configured in App Connect.
- Create a list, now known in the Mailchimp UI as an audience. Your Mailchimp list (audience) is
where you store and manage all of your contacts.
Give your list an appropriate name; for example, named
App Connect Insightly Tutorial Listand enter sample values for any other mandatory fields.
Next, create your flow:
Using the IBM App Connect Designer authoring experience, you can create your flow from a template, or from scratch if you want to explore the steps taken to create a flow.
Creating the flow from a template
This enables you to create the flow immediately, and then select each node in the flow to validate the node and select the application accounts that you want to use. Search for the template name in your IBM App Connect / Templates view.
Template name: "Add attendee to Insightly and MailChimp"
To continue with the template, see the template instructions in Github (opens in a new window)
Creating the flow from scratch
This helps you to learn the sequence of steps used to create the flow, and to examine the nodes and fields as you go.
- In App Connect Designer, complete the following steps:
- From the Dashboard, click
(If you navigate away from the flow at any stage, the flow is saved as a draft flow that you can complete at another time.)
- Enter a name that identifies the purpose of your flow; for example:
Add attendee to Insightly and MailChimp
- Select Eventbrite > New attendee as the event that is to trigger the flow.
- Click the (+) in the flow diagram, and then select Insightly > Leads > Create lead as the action that App Connect should use to create a lead record in Insightly.
- Configure these Insightly fields by mapping their values to those from Eventbrite:
- First name: Click within the field and click Insert a mapping . Then select First name from the References list.
Last name: Type
lastand then select Last name from the list.
Email address: Type
emand then select Email from the list.
Lead description: Type
Attendee at(with a trailing space) and then click Insert a mapping . Then select Event ID from the list.
With this configuration, you are effectively saying that when the Insightly lead is created, you want their first name, last name, and email address to be pulled from the attendee values entered in Eventbrite. And that you want the Lead description field in the Insightly lead record to indicate that the lead was an attendee at the expo. (The Event ID value represents the ID assigned to the expo in Eventbrite.)
- Click the (+) and then select MailChimp > Members > Add member to a list as the next action to be performed.
- Select the MailChimp list (
App Connect Insightly Tutorial List) that you created earlier, and to which you want to add subscribers.
- Configure the MailChimp fields by mapping their values to those from Eventbrite; for example:
Note: In this step, you mapped data only from Eventbrite (the source application). If required, you could have mapped data either from Eventbrite or from Insightly (the previous target application in the flow).
Email Address: Type
emand then select Email from the list.
This completes the flow.
- Email Address: Type
- From the Dashboard, click
Finally, test your flow:
To test the flow, you can assume various roles: that of a CRM team member, a Marketing team member, and an individual (external to your company) who wants to register for the expo.
First, start the flow. For example, click Dashboard to show the flow's tile, and then from the tile's options menu [⋮] click Start. The tile changes to indicate that your flow is running (and is listening for your event – the addition of a new attendee in Eventbrite).
- [Marketing team member]:
- Log in to Eventbrite using the account that you configured in App Connect.
- Create a free and private event named
App Connect Tutorial Eventand enter sample values for any other mandatory fields.
- Make the event live so that people can register to attend.
- Go to the Event Dashboard for the event and make a note of the event URL, which is shown at the bottom of the page. (Remain logged in.)
- [Event attendee]:
- Using a different browser to that used for creating the Eventbrite event in the previous step, access the event URL. (Using two different browsers will enable you to stay logged in to the event organizer and attendee accounts simultaneously.)
- Register for the event by completing the mandatory fields; for example:
- Email Address: Use your own email address or an alias.
- First Name:
- [Marketing team member]: After the event registration is complete, access and refresh the
browser window from step 1 and verify that you can see order details for ticket buyer
Anne Otherin the Event Dashboard.
- [CRM team member]: Log in to Insightly using the account that you configured in App Connect and
verify that a lead exists for
- [Marketing team member]: Log in to MailChimp using the account that you configured in App
Connect. Then verify that
Anne Otherhas been added as a subscriber to list
App Connect Insightly Tutorial List.Note: The Source field indicates that the member was added by IBM App Connect.
Congratulations, you have created a flow that adds a lead to Insightly and a subscriber to a MailChimp list whenever someone registers to attend your company's expo.