How to use IBM App Connect with IBM MQ
IBM MQ supports the exchange of information between applications, systems, services, and files by sending and receiving message data via messaging queues.
- Cloud-managed connector
- Local connector in containers (Continuous Delivery release) 188.8.131.52-r1 or later
- Local connector in containers (Long Term Support release)
IBM App Connect provides separate IBM MQ connectors for use in the cloud and containerized environments. You can connect to a number of supported IBM MQ queue managers and perform operations as follows:
- App Connect on IBM Cloud:
- You can use App Connect to connect to a queue manager and configure an integration flow that gets triggered whenever a message is received on the configured queue or on a topic.
- You can also create an integration flow that puts messages on a configured queue, or that publishes messages to a topic.
- App Connect Designer in a containerized environment (local
- You can use App Connect to connect to a queue manager and configure an integration flow that gets triggered whenever a message is received on the configured queue.
- You can also create an integration flow that puts messages on or gets messages from a configured queue, or that publishes messages to a topic.
Connecting to and using IBM MQ
For the considerations and steps you need to connect App Connect on IBM Cloud to an IBM MQ account, see Connecting to and using IBM MQ from IBM App Connect on IBM Cloud.
Before you use App Connect Designer with IBM MQ, take note of the following considerations:
- (General consideration) You can see lists of the trigger events and
actions that are available on the Catalog page of the App Connect Designer.
For some applications, the events and actions in the catalog depend on the environment (IBM Cloud Pak for Integration or App Connect on IBM Cloud) and whether the connector supports configurable events and dynamic discovery of actions. If the application supports configurable events, you see a Show more configurable events link under the events list. If the application supports dynamic discovery of actions, you see a Show more link under the actions list.
- (General consideration) If you are using multiple accounts for an application, the set of fields that is displayed when you select an action for that application can vary for different accounts. In the flow editor, some applications always provide a curated set of static fields for an action. Other applications use dynamic discovery to retrieve the set of fields that are configured on the instance that you are connected to. For example, if you have two accounts for two instances of an application, the first account might use settings that are ready for immediate use. However, the second account might be configured with extra custom fields.
Events and actions
IBM MQ events
These events are for changes in this application that trigger a flow to start performing the actions in the flow.
- New message on a queue
- New message on a topic
IBM MQ actions
These are actions on this application that you want a flow to complete.
- Put message to a queue
- Publish message to a topic