Extending the Gateway server behavior
To support your enterprise requirements, you can extend the Gateway servers within IBM® API Connect to provide extra enforcement behavior.
Before you begin
- Gateway extension guidelines - DataPower Gateway (v5 compatible)
- Gateway extension guidelines - DataPower API Gateway
For information on the different types of gateway, see API Connect gateway types.
About this task
API Connect Gateway servers uses a subset of DataPower® enforcement capabilities. You can supply DataPower Extensions to customize these enforcement capabilities further.
The DataPower extensibility function can be used to perform actions that include schema validation, antivirus scanning, message filtering, authentication, and authorization, token translation, message enrichment, encryption & decryption, digital signing, and validation and message transformation. For more information, see IBM DataPower Version 7.5 documentation.
To extend the default enforcement capabilities that are provided in API Connect for the Gateway server, complete the following steps.
- In your IBM DataPower environment, develop the configuration that you want to add to your Gateway server.
- Test your enforcement configuration before you add the configuration to the Gateway server.
When you complete the IBM
DataPower configuration, save the enforcement objects
and files as a DataPower exported
The package file is ready to be uploaded to the Gateway server.
- Copy your exported configuration .zip file to a centralized file system ready for upload to the Gateway server.
What to do next
Upload your extension to the Gateway server; see Configuring your Gateway server extensions.