Tutorial: Creating Accounts and Applications on the Developer Portal
This tutorial shows you how to create a developer account and register an application on the Developer Portal.
Before you begin
You must have a Developer Portal installed, and created and published at least one API product.
If you do not have a Developer Portal available, complete the tutorial Creating a Developer Portal.
- If your Sandbox catalog uses a DataPower® Gateway (v5 compatible) (as one of the gateways, or as the only gateway), download the findbranch.txt file to your local filesystem. Rename this file findbranch.yaml.
- If your Sandbox catalog uses a DataPower API Gateway, download the findbranch_v6.txt file to your local filesystem. Rename this file findbranch.yaml.
About this taskIn this tutorial you are going to complete the following lessons:
- Creating a developer account in the Developer Portal
- Creating a developer application in the Developer Portal
- Testing the Branches API in the Developer Portal
Creating a developer account in the Developer Portal
Take the following steps to create a developer account:
- Open a Developer Portal at
the previously specified URL, then click Create an account and complete the
fields. If the Create an account link is not visible, log out as Admin from
the Developer Portal
first.Note: Your email is used as your user name for the Developer Portal. The email address must be different from the address used for creating the administrator account.
- Go to the home page of the Developer Portal
- Click Create an account.
- Complete the sign up form. The email address you provide must be functional. Click
Sign up. A confirmation message is sent to the email address provided in the
- Click the account activation link in the confirmation email to activate your account.
- To use the Developer Portal, click Login and sign in with the user credentials you specified.
Creating a Developer Portal Application
To create and register a new App:
- In the Developer Portal,
click Create an App. Note: You cannot register new applications if you are logged in as the administrator.
- Enter the following values for the application that is being registered.
Table 1. Values for registering the application Field Name Value Title AppOne Application OAuth Redirect URL(s) http://example.com
- Click Save.
- Copy the key and secret values for the new app. Click OK.
- Click Continue.
You see a usage statistics page.
Subscribing to an API in the Developer Portal
- Click API Products.
- Click FindBranch.
- Click Subscribe.
- Under the Application heading, click Select App for your new application.
- Click Next.
- Click Done.
Testing An API in the Developer Portal
- Click API Products in the Developer Portal dashboard.
- Click a Product, such as FindBranch auto product , then select the FindBranch API from the list.
- Click GET /details.
- Click Try it.
- Click Send.Note: If no response is received, navigate to the URL that is displayed at the beginning of the Try this operation section, in a new browser tab. Accept the security certificate, and then call the operation again.
- A returned response of 200 OK and the message body are displayed, indicating that
the REST API operation call was successful.
What you did in this tutorial
- Created a developer account in the Developer Portal.
- Created and registered a new App, and subscribed it to a Plan.
- Tested an API in the Developer Portal.