Creating custom roles
If you have permission to edit roles in IBM® API Connect, you can create custom roles, and assign permissions, in a provider organization. You can create as many custom roles as you want.
About this task
You create custom roles at the provider organization level; those roles are inherited by the Catalogs and Spaces in the provider organization. You can assign permissions at the provider organization, Catalog or Space level.
For a description of the permissions, and details of the default user roles and default permissions assigned to those roles, see API Connect user roles.
To create a custom role, complete the following steps:
- In the navigation pane of the API Manager user interface, click Settings
- Click Roles, then click Add.
The Create a Role page opens.
Enter a role Title and an optional Summary. A
Name is entered automatically.
Note: The value in the Name field is a single string that is used to identify the role in developer toolkit CLI commands. The Title is used for display.
To view the CLI commands to manage roles, see apic roles.
- Use the check boxes to assign permissions to the new role.
- When you are finished, click Save.
To delete a role, click the options icon alongside the role that you want to delete, click Delete, then click
Delete again to confirm the role deletion.
- You can create and delete a role only at the provider organization level. You cannot create or
delete a role at the Catalog level. Nor can you create or delete a role at the Space
You can, however, assign Catalog-specific permissions to the role; for details, see Creating and configuring Catalogs. You can also assign Space-specific permissions; for details, see Managing user access in a Space; for more information on Spaces, see Using syndication in API Connect.
- If you assign Product-Drafts or Api-Drafts permissions to the role, these permissions are not inherited by the role in a Catalog or Space. These permissions apply to working with draft Products and APIs in a provider organization and are not relevant in a Catalog or Space.
- You can create and delete a role only at the provider organization level. You cannot create or delete a role at the Catalog level. Nor can you create or delete a role at the Space level.