Adding a removable media drive
You can add a removable media drive.
The following procedure uses SMIT to add a CD-ROM drive to your system. Other types of removable media drives are added using different fast paths but all follow the same general procedure. You can also add a removable media drive using the Configuration Manager, or the mkdev command.
The information in this how-to scenario was tested using specific versions of AIX®. The results you obtain might vary significantly depending on your version and level of AIX.
- To add a CD-ROM drive to your system, install the hardware according to the documentation that came with your system.
- With root authority, type the following SMIT fast path:
- In the next screen, select the drive type from the available list of supported drives.
- In the next screen, select the parent adapter from the available list.
- In the next screen, at minimum, select the connection address from the available list. You can also use this screen to select other options. When you are finished, press Enter, and then SMIT adds the new CD-ROM drive.
At this point, the new CD-ROM drive is recognized by your system. To add a read/write optical drive, use the smit makomd fast path. To add a tape drive, use the smit maktpe fast path.