Using EZNIM to configure a NIM master
Follow these steps to configure your current system as a NIM master.
If you select Configure as a NIM Master, the following options display:
Setup the NIM Master environment Enable Cryptographic Authentication Add fixes to the NIM Master environment Add client to the NIM environment Update clients Backup a client Reinstall clients Reset clients Show the NIM environment Verify the NIM environment Remove NIM environment
- To configure your current system as a NIM master, select Setup the NIM Master environment. You can select the software source to configure from, select the volume group to use for the NIM resources, and select the file system to use for the NIM resources. When the NIM master environment is configured, the basic NIM resources are created. To view the NIM resources created by EZNIM, select Show the NIM environment, or run the lsnim command on the NIM master.
- To configure your NIM master for SSL authentication, select Enable Cryptographic Authentication. This option allows you to install and configure the cryptographic software in the OpenSSL RPM package. After you configure OpenSSL, NIM clients with OpenSSL installed can request cryptographic authentication during service requests from the NIM master.
- To install updates and maintenance or technology level packages to the NIM master, select Add fixes to the NIM Master environment. This option performs an update installation of a specified set of fixes onto the default SPOT resource. A second SPOT resource containing the newly installed fixes is created by this operation. You can optionally select to update all your NIM clients during this operation.
- To update a client using EZNIM, select Update clients. This option allows you to perform an update_all operation on a selected client (or clients) using an lpp_source resource.
- To back up a client using EZNIM, select Backup a client. This option allows you to create a system backup image of a selected client and store the backup image on the NIM master.
- To reinstall a client using EZNIM, select Reinstall clients. This option allows you to perform a mksysb restore or native, rte install on a selected client (or clients). You must then select a system backup image to restore or an lpp_source to install and decide whether to reboot and install the client now.
- To reset a NIM client to the ready state, select Reset clients. This option resets the state of a client or clients in the NIM environment. Use this option after a NIM operation has failed, and you want to return the client to the ready state.