Setting up automatic monitoring of BNU
BNU uses the cron daemon to start BNU daemons and to monitor BNU activity.
- Complete the steps listed in Configuring BNU.
- You must have root user authority to edit the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file.
The cron daemon reads the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file for instructions about when to start BNU procedures.
To set up automatic monitoring of BNU, complete the following steps:
- Log in as a user with root user authority.
- Use an ASCII text editor to edit the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file.
- Uncomment the lines for the BNU maintenance procedures, uudemon.admin
and uudemon.cleanup. You can change the times that these procedures are run if your system needs maintenance at more or less frequent intervals. It is best, however, to run the uudemon.admin command at least once a day and the uudemon.cleanup command at least once a week.
- Use the crontabs/uucp file to schedule
other BNU maintenance commands, such as the uulog, uuclean,
or uucleanup commands. In addition, you can use the crontabs/uucp file to instruct the cron daemon to start the uucico, uuxqt, or uusched daemons at specific times.