Are you an engineer? A systems designer or manager? A portfolio planner or an architect?
If so, you've come to the right place. Perhaps you're developing a new system that includes mechanical, electrical, and software components. Or maybe you're focused on the design and delivery of a software system to automate a business process. Today's engineering teams -- whether they specialize in electrical, chemical, mechanical, software, or other technical fields -- need, more than ever, to manage requirements, changes, versions, testing, and many other tasks in the project lifecycle. You need the best products that you can find for automating these management tasks and for delivering results that put you ahead of your competition.
These pages are designed to put you on the fast track to efficient project management, improved return on assets and investments, and successful project delivery. Your success is the primary focus of IBM Rational software.
About IBM Rational
As one of the five brands within IBM Software Group, Rational provides products, services, and guidance for software and systems development and delivery. Covering the entire project lifecycle from design to deployment, IBM Rational offerings concentrate decades of experience and know-how to help teams collaborate more effectively. Over the years, we have worked to create a complete and fully integrated set of products that increase productivity, decrease time to market, reduce costs and risk, and drive innovation that improves your competitive advantage.
IBM Rational provides a rich set of capabilities delivered as part of a collaborative and integrated range of products. Rational software is powered by Jazz technology and supported by proven best practice processes and an entire ecosystem of IBM and partner capabilities. Our integrated tools allow practitioners to operate more efficiently to deliver innovative products and services that differentiate business performance in both good times and bad.
By controlling the process of software and systems development in an open, flexible, proven and yet modular manner, software and systems development teams can:
- Maximize return on investments and assets by automating and enforcing best practices that increase efficiency and improve predictably and reliability
- Develop flexibly with an open, collaborative environment that unifies teams so that you can respond quickly to changing business priorities
- Reduce costs and risk by effectively connecting distributed teams and providing secure and controlled access to shared resources, as well as help to ensure that projects are on time, on budget, and within scope
Regardless of your engineering environment or application type - Jazz, Eclipse, Java™, Microsoft® .NET, Linux®, or embedded and pervasive systems - Rational takes you from start to finish.
IBM Rational software and systems delivery practices help you define, automate, and integrate the key aspects of software and systems delivery across roles, from the analyst to the architect, developer, tester, and project manager. IBM Rational solutions are proven, complete, open, and modular.
- Proven. We offer not just tools but a customizable framework that emphasizes best practices and processes that make thousands of high-performance software teams and practitioners successful.
- Complete. You will gain confidence in your software and systems delivery lifecycle by supporting every member of your development team, as well as your business and operations stakeholders.
- Open. You can leverage existing assets and choose from a wide array of development languages, deployment platforms, and partner technologies, including solutions that run on the Jazz platform (more about Jazz follows). Jazz technology transforms software development by making it more collaborative, productive, and transparent through integration of information and tasks across the phases of the software lifecycle.
- Modular. You can choose the products and adoption path that best fit your needs and use your existing tools with components of the full IBM Rational portfolio. There is no need to "rip and replace" the tools and techniques you already have in place.
What Rational can do for you and your company
Most vendors who offer development solutions fail to address the entire software delivery lifecycle. Instead, they focus only on those areas where they have expertise. But with businesses under pressure to transform their investments for greater business value and use their investments as cost-effective enablers of innovation and success, every area of the lifecycle represents an opportunity for improving your team's effectiveness, predictability, and productivity.
The IBM Rational business-driven development approach addresses each phase in the software and systems delivery lifecycle. This results-oriented focus helps teams manage value, develop flexibly, and control risk and change. With the IBM Rational Software Delivery Platform, as well as a host of products specifically built for systems design and development, you get tools and best practices that help your team be successful. Key roles in the software and systems delivery lifecycle gain these substantial benefits:
- Project managers: Improve the success and predictability of projects by being able to respond quickly to change, reduce delays and mistakes with real-time collaboration, and guide teams on best-practice processes for increased consistency and predictability. Easily view real-time information across projects, products, and locations to help measure, monitor, analyze, and project trends, and process performance.
- Architects: Visualize, analyze, capture, and communicate business process design and system requirements and then help translate them into executable code to develop software faster.
- Developers: Get immediate access to assets virtually anywhere in your organization with transparent, real-time availability of files and directories. Connect remotely when you need to so that you can remote work from any location. Automate tedious tasks, defect detection, and best practices guidance to improve efficiency, quality, and ensure consistent techniques and processes.
- Entire team: Collaborate and automate across the entire project lifecycle to help streamline software and systems development and delivery.
As the diagram that follows shows, Rational capabilities address the needs of system engineers and software engineers alike, whether they're working to transform their company's IT organization or building a smarter product that will outshine the competition.
Rational offers modular, solution-focused products and services, as well as integrated product suites across the entire project lifecycle. Both products and services help teams address a wide array of today's challenges, including globally distributed organizations, regulatory compliance mandates, and the adoption of service-oriented development approaches.
Rational software ranks #1 among developers
In June 2009, IBM Rational tools were ranked #1 in Evans Data Corporation's 2009 User's Choice survey of developers' satisfaction. In their report, Evans Data said:
"This is no set of disparate tools thrown together in an attempt to bridge the problems of developers as they move from design to coding to deployment. Rather, the Rational tools suite, integrated together in the Jazz platform, takes software development into a new realm which blends together requirements, asset management, architecture, development, QA, deployment, and further to touch on operations and maintenance."
You can read the press release, headlines "IBM Rational Tools Take Top Spot in Worldwide User Satisfaction Survey," download the full report, free (registration required for the download).
Rational solutions and capabilities
IBM architecture management solutions are provided in two categories: Enterprise Architecture Management and Architecture, Design, and Construction.
- Enterprise Architecture
Management (EAM) solution connects
the business and technology needs of an
organization into a cohesive and dynamic
blueprint, providing key capabilities for managing
the impact of business-driven change.
EAM helps maximize cost savings from consolidations, mergers and acquisitions, and other change initiatives, while minimizing associated risks. It also helps identify potential areas to improve operational efficiency. Because EAM enables organizations to build connections from strategy to solution delivery, it can help you realize optimal business results from technology solutions.
The IBM Rational® Enterprise Architecture Management solution can help you:
- Make faster, better-informed strategic and tactical decisions
- Prioritize IT investments to support business goals
- Improve risk management of organizational transformation
- Turn strategy into execution and measure the results
IBM enterprise architecture solutions include:
- IBM Rational Architecture, Design, and Construction solutions offer industry-leading systems and software development tools to accelerate and simplify development so that you can gain insight, predictability, and reusability in your development projects. Designed for software analysts, architects, and developers, these tools help you to manage changes to software architecture and to ensure architectural integrity and alignment with current requirements and implementations, while providing best-of-breed development environments. IBM architecture, design, and construction solutions include:
Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational offers best practices in requirements definition and management proven to save time and money by helping you:
- Reduce rework, improve quality of feedback, and accelerate time to market by collaborating with your stakeholders in more effective ways
- Increase productivity by controlling and managing changes to requirements, as well as more efficiently organizing and finding requirements information
- Align project deliverables with business goals and software requirements to deliver a solution that meets stakeholder needs
- Reduce cost and minimize risk by analyzing the impact of changes as they occur
- Demonstrate compliance by ensuring full traceability of requirements
IBM requirements definition and management solutions include these products:
Change and Release Management
IBM Rational offers comprehensive, integrated change and release management products for successful software delivery. These solutions help software and systems development teams improve productivity and team collaboration, gain better visibility into projects, automate processes, improve quality, manage distributed teams, and provide traceability across the software development lifecycle. IBM change and release management solutions include:
- Rational Team Concert™
- IBM Rational Build Forge
- Rational Synergy
- Rational ClearCase
- Rational ClearQuest
- Rational Change
Process and Portfolio Management
IBM Rational product, project, and portfolio management solutions transform the way organizations define and deliver value. By enabling teams to align software and product investments to business objectives and to improve predictability of project success through best practice guidance and measurement, these solutions help companies achieve predictable and consistent business value from their software and systems delivery investments. They are open, integrated, and role-based, spanning the complete application lifecycle. IBM product, project and portfolio management solutions include:
IBM Rational software testing and quality management solutions transform the way that teams work together to deliver enduring quality. Offering a full set of software delivery process guidance, best practices, and integrated tools, these solutions support a broad range of heterogeneous applications to help testers and software quality teams achieve improvements in cost efficiency, quality metrics, and time-to-value for business-critical projects.
Our solutions accelerate discovery and diagnosis, ensuring clean communication between the business, development, quality assurance, and IT operations. These offerings are optimized to provide actionable development asset traceability, accelerated problem determination, and early detection of post-deployment availability risks.
- Rational Quality Manager
- Rational Test Virtualization Server
- Rational Test Workbench
- Rational Performance Test Server
- Rational Functional Tester
- Rational Performance Tester
- Rational Service Tester for SOA Quality
- Rational Test RealTime
Web Site Security and Compliance
IBM® Rational® AppScan® and Rational Policy Tester are Web site security and compliance solutions that automate application and content analysis. These tools help organizations identify vulnerabilities, assess compliance requirements, and improve the accuracy and reliability of online systems.
- Web application security
Rational AppScan provides Web application security vulnerability scanning, testing, and reporting.
- Web site compliance
Rational Policy Tester provides content scanning analysis for privacy, quality, and accessibility compliance testing and reporting.
For information on other Rational solutions, follow these links:
Learn about Jazz technology: IBM Rational's new technology platform for collaborative software delivery.
Enterprise modernization: Increase ROI and reduce risk by leveraging proven code on IBM® System i®, IBM® System z® and distributed platforms.
SOA lifecycle management: Streamline the delivery and management of your SOA.
SOA governance: Realize the full benefit of your service-oriented architecture.
Rational Software Platform for Systems: Discover integrated solutions for systems engineering and embedded software development.
Regulatory compliance: Support mandates and standards better.
Tell your boss
As a professional in the software industry, you know that productivity, creativity, and precision teamwork are the keys to your company's success. Rational can help you with these needs. But do you need help explaining Rational's proven software development and delivery concepts to your upper management? Here are a few resources that can help business managers understand how Rational delivers innovation, a strong return on investment, and competitive differentiation:
Did you know you're in the software business? lBM Rational software helps you innovate and differentiate your products.
How you can learn more about Rational
Bookmark and visit the IBM®developerWorks® Rational site to learn more about the Rational Software Delivery Platform, whether you are a new user of Rational products or an expert. It is updated weekly with the latest Rational-related events, product announcements, and additions to the extensive collection of technical materials, such as how-to articles.
Try these links in the left navigation pane of the developerWorks Rational site:
- Products: Links to resource pages for the major products.
- Downloads: Provides free trial copies of many of the Rational products, along with evaluation resources and links to information on how to buy the product. Support downloads and IBM partner Ready for Rational plug-ins are also available.
- Technical library: Includes an ever-growing collection of technical articles, samples, tutorials, and other materials developed by internal and external Rational experts.
- Training and certification: Includes Rational classroom courses, online education, and self-study materials. Also, check the course catalog of Rational computer-based, Web-based, and instructor-led online courses.
- Consulting services: Leads you to experts who can help you design, implement, and monitor software applications.
You'll find these resources useful, too:
- developerWorks Rational newsletter - Keep up with developerWorks Rational content. Every other week, you'll receive updates on the latest technical resources and best practices for Rational software.
- Rational Software Global User Group Community - Rational User Groups are independent, user-run organizations that provide open forums to promote information exchange between customers and Rational staff.
To get product information, such as how to buy a Rational product, or to see a business case study, explore the Rational Software Information Center.