Link requirements collections in IBM Rational DOORS to test plans in IBM Rational Quality Manager
Captured requirements are saved in the IBM® Rational® DOORS® module view as a requirement collection. The test case to each of these requirements will be created in the IBM® Rational® Quality Manager test plan. The reconcile feature in Rational Quality Manager enables you to link the requirements in Rational DOORS module view to the test case in Rational Quality Manager. It also helps in generating the test case and linking back to the requirements in the DOORS module for further reporting.
This article is based on following assumption:
- DOORS 9.4 and IBM Rational DOORS Web Access 1.5 version is installed and configured
- Rational Quality Manager 4.0 version is installed and configured
- DOORS is registered (consumer out bound) in Rational Quality Manager to consume the OSLC services provided by Rational Quality Manager
- Rational Quality Manager is registered (friends out bound) with Rational DOORS Web Access to consume the OSLC services provided by DOORS Web Access.
Versions older than DOORS 9.4, DOORS Web Access 1.5 and Rational Quality Manager 4.0 do not support this reconcile feature.
For more information on installing and configuring DOORS and Rational Quality Manager using OSLC services, please refer to Integrate Rational Quality Manager with Rational DOORS using Open Services Lifecycle Collaboration, published on Jazz.net.
Step 1: Create the requirement collection
This section explains how to create the requirement collection in the DOORS module.
- Log in to DOORS as a user whose role is able to manage databases.
- Create a project named DOORS-RQM integration.
- Create a module named Requirement module and add to it all of the requirements that need to be linked with the test plan and those that are needed to create the test case in Rational Quality Manager.
- Save the requirement collection as a separate view.
Figure 1. Requirement collection view
Step 2: Add the DOORS requirement collections to the test plan and generate a test case using the reconcile feature
Link the requirement collection view to the test plan in Rational Quality Manager and generate the test case using requirement collections.
To reconcile requirements in Rational Quality Manager, the following prerequisites must be met:
- A project named "RQM project" exists in the Rational Quality Manager database. This project is associated with a DOORS ERS repository.
- A user with suitable repository permission and client access roles should exist in the Rational Quality Manager project.
- The Requirements Module created in DOORS should be closed, or opened in shareable edit mode.
Link the DOORS requirement collection view to the test plan:
- In the project named RQM Project, create a test plan named
RQM Test Plan.
- Select the Requirement collection links section in test plan.
- Click Add new links.
- Enter the DOORS user credentials in the oauth Login window as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2. The DOORS Oauth Login window seen while linking the test plan and requirements.
- Click Login. A DOORS dialog box appears that lists all of the DOORS projects.
- Expand the DOORS-RQM integration project and select Requirement view under Requirement module, as shown in Figure 3. The DOORS requirement collection view is added to RQM Test Plan.
Figure 3. Select DOORS Requirement view in RQM test plan
- Save the changes made in the RQM Test Plan.
Generate the test case from the requirement collection links
- In RQM Test Plan, select the checkbox for the Requirement collection link Requirement Module Requirement View that was added.
- Click on the Reconcile Requirement in collections icon as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4. Requirements view added in Requirements collection link section of RQM Test plan
The Reconcile Requirements dialog box appears. It lists the DOORS requirements which do not have test coverage as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5. Requirements from DOORS that do not have test coverage
- Select the requirement that needs the test case and click Generate Test case as shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Reconciled requirements selected for generating test case
The test case is created using the requirement summary as the test case name as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7. Test case creation while reconciling requirements
- Click OK.
A link is created between the test cases and the requirement in DOORS as shown below in Figure 8.
Figure 8. Test case and back link creation with requirements in DOORS
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
The test case is created using the requirement summary as the test case name and a link is established between these requirements and test cases for further requirement traceability and reporting purposes. The requirements are synchronized to Rational Quality Manager test plan project.
- Browse the Rational DOORS developerWorks page for links to technical articles and many related resources, and check the Rational DOORS Next Generation page on Jazz.net. For detailed instructions, explore the Rational DOORS Information Center.
- Check the Rational Quality Manager and Rational Test Lab Manager pages on developerWorks for links to product documentation, articles, tutorials, courses, downloads, and other useful areas. Also, explore the Rational Quality Manager Information Center for technical details, check the Rational Quality Manager Roadmap. For how-to tips, read these developerWorks articles by
- Lab Management using IBM Rational Test Lab Manager: Extending IBM Rational Quality Manager for collaborative, comprehensive test planning and test asset management (developerWorks, October 2008)
- Getting started with IBM Rational Quality Manager (developerWorks, December 2008)
- Managing your first project with IBM Rational Quality Manager (developerWorks, October 2008)
- Improve your skills. Check the Rational training and certification catalog, which includes many types of courses on a wide range of topics. You can take some of them anywhere, anytime, and many of the Getting Started ones are free.
- Get the free trial download for Rational DOORS Web Access.
- Download the free trial version of Rational Quality Manager, which includes Rational Test Lab Manager.
- Evaluate IBM software in the way that suits you best.