What's new in IBM Rational Service Tester for SOA Quality Version 8.0
Software quality assurance teams use IBM® Rational® Service Tester for SOA Quality to validate Web service functionality and performance. This article explores some of the key advancements introduced in Version 8.0.
New generic service recorder
The most significant change in the V8.0 release of Rational Service Tester is the introduction of the new Generic Service Client, which is shown in Figure 1. It provides a single client to interact with any service-oriented architecture (SOA) service type, either by importing a WSDL (Web Services Description Language) or XSD (XML Schema Definition) file or by direct connection to a Web service endpoint for an HTTP, Java™ Message Service (JMS), or IBM® WebSphere® MQ call.
Recording is a familiar three-step process of editing the input data for the Web service, invoking the service, and viewing the results. Overall, the new Generic Service Client greatly simplifies the process of creating tests because it provides a consistent interface for all types of Web services, so that you can create tests quickly.
Figure 1. Generic Service Client view
Updated test editor
Not only was the test recorder updated in this release, but the test editor was also enhanced. There is a new form view that better organizes Web services and their parameters. There is also a new interface that simplifies the process of working with header information (see Figure 2), such as authentication or reply-to addresses, based on WS-Addressing, WS-Reliable Messaging, and WS-Coordination standards.
Figure 2. New interface for header information
Service test distinguished from performance test
Also new in the Version 8.0 release is a clearer delineation between the functionality of Rational Service Tester and IBM Rational Performance Tester. Previous customer feedback had indicated that, although they are similar, performance testing and service testing had become too closely intertwined within the tool. The updated interface more clearly separates functionality for Rational Service Tester and Rational Performance Tester. Most of these changes are simple, such a separate menu item for Rational Service Tester on the Start bar. But sometimes it's the simplest changes that make the biggest difference.
Environment updated to support more protocols
Asynchronous communication enhancements
Support for asynchronous service calls was introduced in the Rational Service Tester Version 7.0.2 release. The V8.0 release adds a wizard for using one of the WS standards to create asynchronous calls with specific headers and callback structures.
NTLM protocol support
Starting with the V8.0 release, Rational Service Tester includes authentication protocol support for Microsoft® Windows NT LAN Manager (NTLM) support, as Figure 3 shows.
Figure 3. Protocols Configuration tab
Integrated test management
The IBM Rational portfolio of products now includes a new Web-based, centralized test management environment called IBM® Rational® Quality Manager. It provides a collaborative and customizable solution for test planning, workflow control, tracking, and metrics reporting that is capable of quantifying how project decisions and deliverables affect and align with business objectives.
You can launch IBM Rational Service Tester V8.0 tests from IBM Rational Quality Manager.
To learn more about these new features, as well as about existing capabilities of IBM Rational Service Tester for SOA Quality, and to download a trial version, check the citations in Related topics.
- Find more resources for test engineers and test managers on the Rational Service Tester for SOA Quality page of the developerWorks Rational zone, including articles and whitepapers, links to training, discussion forums, product documentation and support.
- Visit the IBM Rational Service Tester for SOA Quality product information page on IBM.com.
- To find more information about IBM Rational Quality Manager and related products, check the Software testing and quality management page on IBM.com.
- Read the white paper titled Testing SOA applications with IBM Rational quality management software (May 2007).
- Explore Rational computer-based, Web-based, and instructor-led online courses. Hone your skills and learn more about Rational tools with these courses, which range from introductory to advanced. The courses on this catalog are available for purchase through computer-based training or Web-based training. Additionally, some "Getting Started" courses are available free of charge.
- Subscribe to the Rational Edge newsletter for articles on the concepts behind effective software development.
- Subscribe to the IBM developerWorks newsletter, a weekly update on the best of developerWorks tutorials, articles, downloads, community activities, webcasts and events.
- Download a free IBM Rational Performance Tester trial version to test your own application.
- Download trial versions of other IBM Rational software.
- Download these IBM product evaluation versions and get your hands on application development tools and middleware products from DB2®, Lotus®, Tivoli®, and WebSphere®.