Looks like Sun wants to compete with IBM for who will be the largest contribuitor to the patent commons. Wonder who else will join?
A few of the articles on these topics:
- Sun Grants Global Open Source Community Access to More than 1,600 Patents (Yahoo)
- Sun Details Open Solaris Licensing Plans (eWeek)
- Analysts: Sun's Open Solaris Plans Face Problems (eWeek)
- Sun to release first OpenSolaris tidbit Tuesday (CNET)
- Sun's Common Development and Distribution License Is OK, Says OSI (Linux Business Week)
- Sun Opens Access To 1,600 Patents (Linux World)
January 26, 2005
Bob Sutor compares IBM's patent pledge with Sun's patent pledge in Regarding Sun and and their "opening up" of 1600 patents: please do it for all OSI licenses.
January 29, 2005
Also see Bob Sutor's blog ZDNet on patent pledges.