VLP System Users,
There was a catastrophic failure at the electric power substation which supplies power to the data center housing the IBM Virtual Loaner Program, the morning of 24-Feb. The VLP data center has a fully functional and frequently tested backup electrical power system which includes diesel generators. However, the erratic nature of the failure at the substation resulted in the loss of part of the backup configuration. As such, the entire remote access computing environment was shutdown in an abrupt but organized fashion rather than expose the equipment to a shutdown caused by the sudden and total loss of electric power.
Most of you experienced an outage from about 0930 CT to about 1900 CT. With a few exceptions, the VLP is again fully functional. If you are still having trouble, please contact VLP Support via the Support tab on our website or Live Chat so we can help you resolve the issue.
The VLP team, Dallas sincerely regrets the inconvenience caused by this failure. The events and associated logs will be carefully reviewed and appropriate preventative measures will be implemented.
Thanks for using the VLP
Power Development Platform (PDP)
with Tags: power X
Have you every wondered what products are included in the VLP IBM i 7.1 image?
IBM Virtual Loaner Program Was Cloud before the CloudWith all the attention on cloud computing these days—including the recent architectural metaphors for private cloud solutions—you might be surprised to learn that IBM has been a cloud services provider since 2004. Through IBM’s Virtual Loaner Program (VLP), IBM’s PartnerWorld members can get access to IBM i, AIX, and Linux on POWER, running their very own instance with virtually total control.
Read the whole article - http://systeminetwork.com/article/ibm-virtual-loaner-program-was-cloud-cloud?ref=nf
The IBM Virtual Loaner Program new offering - IBM i 7.1 early program. Try out the latest IBM i now!
Details about the VLP IBM i 7.1 Early Program
- VLP will offer i 7.1 Beta level code on POWER6, and Beta level i 7.1 will also be available on POWER7 after April 23rd.
- Reservations can be made for up to 21 days duration, 2 CPU / 4 GB RAM / 100 GB of Storage
- VLP will offer new beta images until a GA level image is available, approximately 30 days after GA of IBM i 7.1
- Once the GA image is available, no NEW Beta images will be allowed, but saved Beta images can be restored for 30 days to allow information to be moved from the image to a GA level image.
- A beta image cannot be upgraded to a GA level image.
- VLP will dispose of all IBM i 7.1 Beta saved images 30 days after GA level images are available in the VLP.
- After the 30 day post GA availability period, the beta promo code will be removed to prevent restore of saved images
Please contact Bill Schulz at email@example.com for more details
Leveraging IBM's virtual loaner program (VLP) can help you experience the new IBM POWER7, the next generation of Power Systems technology. Starting February 9th, VLP users can reserve POWER7 systems running AIX 6.1 TL4 SP2 or SLES 11. This is a great way to test/port/evaluate/demo your solutions on the all new POWER7 AT NO-CHARGE!
Where else can you get a POWER7 system within 2 hours?? Come try it out and let us know what you think - either by filling out the end of reservation survey, responding to the VLP blog or by contacting our VLP support through e-mail or Live Chat. We'd love to hear from you!
IBM PartnerWorld members can enjoy this easy-to-use, fully automated and dedicated environment at no charge. The VLP provides a wide range of operating systems, including AIX, IBM i, Red Hat and SUSE Linux along with POWER7, POWER6 and POWER5 hardware.
Users on the VLP Web site (www.ibm.com/systems/vlp) can use live chat or e-mail via "We're here to help" for answers to questions or help along the way. Visit the site to sign up and reserve a system.