Now that I've become obsessed with blogging on My developerWorks. I've decided that in addition to being a great tool for promoting IBM social software solutions and My developerWorks, blogging is also a great way for me to knock out a lot of the day-to-day stuff in my personal life. Now that my family and friends are all following my blog, I can dispense with birthday cards, anniversary cards, get well card, miss you cards......I can now just cover all of those "to dos" in my blog.
So here goes.....today is my "baby" sister's 40th birthday. Happy Birthday Mary Eileen! You are an amazing sister, mom, daughter and friend. In honor of your birthday, I'm dedicating our soon to be released developerWorks TOP 40 play list for the Smarter Planet to you. Mary Eileen, do you remember all the fun we had growing up listening to Casey Kasem and American Top 40. Oh boy, we thought we were so cool. Mary Elieen, I know I shouldn't have gone to this much trouble, but you are a special sister and it is your big day!
Given that I have now totally bought in to the power of social software and My developerWorks, I'm going to turn to the My developerWroks community to help me build our developerWorks TOP 40 play list for the Smarter Planet Here is a very rough start on this special birthday compilation, please post your suggestions in the comments section below, so I can quickly complete my sister's birthday dedication.
developerWorks TOP 40 play list for the Smarter Planet
40. September 1999 - developerWorks launched by a small band of renegades
39. Fall 1999 - Shower Boy debuts
37. Jan 2000 - Java, Linux, and XML rock the charts
36. March 2000 - developerWorks Japan launches as the first developerWorks local site
34. August 2001 - Jim Coughlin joins developerWorks (developerWorks as we know it changes forever)
33. October 2001 - Jim Coughlin and his sister Cathy run the Chicago marathon
32. July 2002 - Speed Start your Linux App breaks through to the top of the charts
31. Aug 2002 - developerWorks team leads Robocode Rumble to a smash blow out in Las Vegas
30. October 2002 - Jim Coughlin and his sister Mary Eileen run the Chicago Marathon
27. March 2003 - Rational Software joins developerWorks
25. October 2003 - Jim Coughlin and his brother Mick run the Chicago Marathon
22. Mar 2004 - Lotus software leads the pack with the largest IBM product community on developerWorks
22. July 2005 - Google search engine optimization algorithm change craters web site traffic
18. October 2006 - Jim Coughlin shatters his Chicago marathon PB with a time of 3:39 (only 8min and 28 sec shy of Boston qualifier)
16. March 2007 - developerWorks wins Jolt Hall of Fame award
15. August 2007 - developerWorks debuts on the iphone
13. March 2008 - developerWorks Spaces hit the airwaves
12. April 2008 - Rational Software Request for Enhancement (RFE) Community launched
11. June 2008 - Steve Mills speaks to developerWorks Community
10. September 2008 - developerWorks Russia ranked #1 developer site in Russia
8. December 2008 - developerWorks China reaches over 800,000 unique visitors in December
7. January - March 2009 - developerWorks launches themes focused on Cloud Computing, Green IT, and Smarter Planet
5. March 2009 - developerWorks reaches nearly 4 million unique visitors in March
3. April 24, 2009 - developerWorks Brasil and developerWorks Viet Nam debut to rave reviews
2. April 26, 2009 - Mary Eileen (Jim Coughlin's little sister) turns 40
1. April xx, 2009 - Stay tuned for this one..... (opps...this part of our TOP 40 play list for the Smarter Planet is still under construction)
0. September 12-13, 2009 - Jim Coughlin wins the MS 150 Bike Challenge in New Bern, NC
* NOTE: #0 is my one prediction for a future Top 40 hit (be sure to include your predictions in your comments and suggestions). For an old, uncool dude like me just finishing a 150 mile bike ride will count for "winning" in my book.
One final note....last year, I completely forgot my wedding anniversary (May 2nd) because I was working around the clock on something we affectionately call "The Spring Plan" here at IBM (also sometimes called the "perfect storm"...among other things that I can't put in print). I'm already planning a big time apology (in my book, it never hurts to keep apologizing) and even a bigger happy anniversary to my wife Liz in my May 2nd blog update. I think that would be the smartest way to celebrate my anniversary.