Not all prime numbers are happy numbers
....103 is. I mentioned in my 100th blog
that I would end my blog writing on a prime number and although I didn't think it would happen so soon, ending on a happy number is the right decision.
Why am I ending this blog? For a number of reasons:
- Even in the world of social networks, you always need an exit strategy.
- Social network participation comes and goes in waves....sometimes you ride them all the way to the shore and get off even while others continue to surf.
Relative to My developerWorks, the time as come for me to move inland away from the shore.
I might come back to lurk and watch ......whether I get my toes back in the water...too soon to tell.
For now..... Happy Trails to all...
I am not a regular visitor to My Profile or My Home page on My developerWorks as I tend to drop in to read the My developerWorks blogs and then leave. On occasion, I take a broader tour and I did that today. I was pleasantly surprised by the following status update:
So of course I had to go check out the articl
e and then find the developerWorks article
...which has the great headline of " The second article of this two-part series explores more advanced
lex/yacc development and introduces basic troubleshooting techniques.
See e-mail headers parsed before your very eyes! Marvel at cryptic
error messages! See a computer actually compute something!
and then go to the new-to-me translation site
- " vhet foon yuoo cun leern zee must emezeeng theengs iff yuoo joost luuk"
I spent two days "away" from my work environment instant message vehicle last week ......and may I say....after the first moments of terror ...I was actually quite fine and dandy.
Today, we are such a society of NOW. As well as "it is all about ME". Instant Messages (IM) often have the pretext that the sender is more important than the receiver.....as surely, the senders need to interrupt the receiver assumes the receiver is ready, willing and aware that their time is not as valuable as the senders. Cold? A bit...but come on....as a sender haven't we all assumed what we need is more important than the receiver? And as a receiver of an IM, aren't we sometimes perturbed by the interruption?
As to Live Chat....oh my......I only want it WHEN I WANT it. I think I've only used it a few times on various and sites ...and the first time was to test it . When a "live chat" box pops up to see if I want help....it usually just irks me..... the pop up appears before I've really had a chance to look around/find what I want /explore on my own....almost like a sales person that approaches you the minute you walk in the door.
I've "heard" from a few people, that if My developerWorks had the ability for instant messaging or live chat between members that it would be the killer feature. For those that are reading this blog and are brave enough to comment, what's your opinion?
- Would you use My developerWorks more if instant messaging/live chat between members was available?
- Can you guess my opinion?
Given the choice, would you rather watch a video, live feed, podcast or read to learn about new info and news?
As my usual answer, it depends for me.
IBM just re-vamped their YouTube channel
and it did capture my attention....ok....just for a few minutes as my attention span is a nano-second .....but enough to make me want to revisit the site in short bursts....
Star Trek or Star Wars? That is a question that is often asked on the interviews of techies on Yin Yang
I guess since this auction
fascinated me and Spot is my favorite character (is that not too obvious?)....perhaps it is Star Trek....then again I have quoted Yoda
Either way, I am thankful for future thinkers and that leads me back to developerWorks
and all the future thinkers that engage in blogs, write articles, and contribute to bookmarks, groups and forums. Maybe one of will create our next "favorite future character"....and if it is a cat....thank you.
What do you do when you have a problem? Do you look at the help screens? Open the user manual? Do you first try to locate an expert or the closest person available?
- I'll admit, depending on my mood, I might reach out via Instant Messaging, texting or a shout out to reach a "live" human being first....after all...don't we all want our answers NOW.
- I had a question about how hotlinks work on My developerWorks. I first went to the developerWorks feedback group discussion forum to see if anyone else had asked the question. I didn't see anything close, so I entered my own question.....and now I wait. I know it won't take the team long to get back to me....and I, indeed, can be patient as by entering my question I have now contributed to the great good...the collective wisdom...the community sharing.... and maybe I can view that contribution as being all about ME...and then the NOW can wait.
What's a blogger to do when asked to blog about a specific subject? Here's what I do:
- I am polite and listen and/or read the request .
- and then I proceed to be passive aggressive and don't act on the request... usually I react with silence (as in no reply verbally or in writing)
- The topic may or may not resonate with me or my "voice"
- I have to be in the mood to blog....the spirit has to hit me......
- I have a blogging "voice" and being asked to blog on a topic "feels" like an assignment....so no matter the topic, being asked, just seems to stifle my "voice"
Since my first "True Confession
" my blog voice hasn't changed:
- "Blogs are about being authentic and for me to be authentic I have to have fun. I was inspired to begin this blog after reading about the Chief Happiness Officer (CHO) - happiness at work is the most important factor that contributes to good careers, happy lives and business success. My intention is to blog about the fun, the absurd, the thrills, the chills and the adventures of my developerWorks experience and about what I find on My developerWorks.. Stay tuned as during this adventure I hope to find the things that can make us laugh, challenge our thoughts, vent , ask questions and listen, listen, listen. Oh....and make a few confessions along the way too"
Now that is a headline.....it actually is the name of book by Lisa Scottoline
and it made me laugh as well as pick up the book.
It made me think about article titles of content on developerWorks. One of the reasons many of us come to developerWorks is the honest, straightforward and, dare I say, boring article titles.
Yet are they really boring?
Not boring....direct....to the point....and easily found when hunting for information. Fancy titles may catch your attention or not....what is most important is the content.
Be it ever so simple and true, I do wish I had read these earlier.....better late than never....and really ...it isn't THAT late.
Wouldn't any person/group work smarter if they were better connected? Is it the future of how we will work?
is part of what allows me to work smarter....it is the future and it is here today.
Sacha Chua, a relatively new member of IBM, gives a great example of why social networks matter. Le'ts make her enthusiasm contagious:
What makes you work smarter? What about in the future?
What a great article: Bad attitudes cane lead to good innovation
My favorite lines from the article :
- "Innovation comes from angry and driven people," says Tom Peters.
- "You have probably seen it yourself – the programmer with
the worst attitude is the one who produces the most brilliant code."
Rebels can be very critical so turn the situation around and ask them
how they would do things better."
- "Rebels can achieve amazing things."
Look at the blogs on My developerWorks
.....see any rebels? The best ideas are the simplest
is this rebellious ?
Are you a rebel?
I created a very simple Activity on My developerWorks
and would appreciate some testing assistance. You need to be logged
into My developerWorks to open the Activity and then follow the directions to create your own instance of the activity to use. This Activity
servers four functions
1) It is an easy, simple (I hope) checklist for "getting started with My developerWorks" allowing you to go at your own pace to learn more about how to use My developerWorks. You select the steps you want to perform in your own time frame and "check" the box when you complete.
2) It is an Activity. Activities appears to be the most under used function in My developerWorks and hopefully this Activity will help you consider how you could use Activities.
3) It is an Activity template which means if you like the concept of the Activity and the checklist style, you can take the template and edit it for your own needs....and create your own Activity and/or template for others to use.
4) I did it for me. As you may have read, I like to tes
t, and the Activities tab was taunting me... I had to figure out how to use it, try it, not let it break me, find value in it and create something...so I did.
Testers...well...anyone actually ...test away...... and let me know your feedback.........I've posted the how to provide feedback in the Activity
In a gross generalization, all software and hardware occasionally hiccups. My developerWorks had a few hiccups and I found I really missed visiting. I missed looking for the latest blog postings, latest bookmarks and latest additions to my groups. I was craving posting new bookmarks including this one GReen IT Report in Japanese
as well as How to measure employee carbon footprints: Part 2: Putting the concept to the test:
and Access Optim archive file data using Cognos
and Linux: lean, clean and green
and ...keep your eyes posted I am on a roll bookmarking
I am not sure it is appropriate to "miss" a software entity (is that what My developerWorks is?) but I did. I felt a little lonely without it.
IBM announced Smarter Products
: Manufacturers are being asked to deliver a new generation of smarter products driven by software. Cars, cell phones, consumer electronics, airplanes, appliances and medical devices are all becoming increasingly:
- Interconnected to the Internet and to back-end IT systems
- Instrumented to sense the exact condition of everything
- Intelligent to respond to changes quickly and accurately
It made me think about what smarter products could help me and for some reason (perhaps due to spring cleaning time) every product that popped into my head dealt with cleaning: Self-cleaning floor, sink, lawnmower, car, house, toilet, furniture, in-box, kids, bathtubs, air, clothes, cats (oh wait cats are self-cleaning). Now I do want my smarter products to be green
green (cause it is all about green
) so...here's my new logic: if it is smart it must be clean and if it is clean it must be green.
Testing: smells (oooohhhh what is that ?) cars (what happens if...), recipes (what about adding...), furniture (let me see what happens if I scratch it), authority (you want me to do what), meetings (what is the value, what is the agenda, why am I needed), machinery (wonder what that button does..) and new code/applications ...ala My developerWorks and downloads available at developerWorks..
let me make the software cry)Tom's blog
says it all ...in fact it is almost an ad for Lotus software.
where all the social software is used to solve a business problem.....in fact...some of the problems I was finding ....can't help it...I like to break things....
It all started when I was a child and continues to this day. I like to challenge the status quo, ask questions and find holes....all in the hopes of making the world a better place - dare I say Smarter?
(couldn't help myself)
Not that there is anything wrong with those that like to build ....I just like to test, challenge, takes things apart, see how things work, and dare I say ..destroy.
I first arrived on My developerWorks thinking it was just a destination: check in, look at the map, go sightseeing, leave, tell your friends you had a good time and that you might visit again. Now I realize, My developerWorks is a journey: check in, don't bother with a map, take to the streets, hop on a bus...explore ...with every corner bring something new...another path to take. I have found myself going down many odd paths on My developerWorks (ok maybe they aren't odd) ...yes I've hit some bumps and I may even have some bruises...but overall the journey is what My developerWorks is about...explore, learn, play and laugh......