To drive home a personal perspective of this global focus, this week we asked: What are you doing to make the planet smarter? Here are some of the responses we received from colleagues around the world:
Umberto Ghio is focused on a very personal way of making the planet smarter: I am trying to get smarter myself. As I am part of the planet, by improving myself I am contributing to the overall "smarter planet" ideal. How? I try to do things in a different way, make some efforts to imagine a better solution for each problem I am facing, even if it is an old known problem with a old known solution. Learning; learning something new is the best way to keep your brain young, and opens doors you never even imagined. I do as much as I can not to be obvious; do you get the same question 20 times? I try providing a different (but correct) answer to each one. I try to be as polite and kind as possible; it's too easy to be rude or too focused on yourself. Fun; I try to have as much fun as possible, and I try to involve as much people as possible. Spread the fun, you will never be wrong. A smarter planet? That is one in which everybody is happy
The efforts to make the planet smarter can also be demonstrated in different ways and shapes based on roles and responsibilities people take in their day to day life. As Hamid Kalantari notes, this includes both personal and business roles and responsibilities, and in our support organization this is done by:
- Optimizing time to solution for PMRs by making sure the provided solution is applicable to the issue the client is facing and by engaging required resources actively while problem determination process is done.
- Improving self-assist by providing quality content including technotes, developerWorks articles, and IEA modules
- Improving productivity and clarity while working with clients by using existing tools such as AOS (Assist On Site).
- Increasing awareness of existing self assist content as well as communities and forums like developerWorks
- Being as clear as possible while communicating
- Expanding and deepening technical skills in high demand areas
Nanesh Bhamkar postulates that a "thought" can definitely change lives. To help make the planet smarter he is currently growing his personal network so that the thoughts can be implemented, noting that in a developing nation like India, new technology is reaching only 5% of the crowd, while the majority of people are still waiting for it to make their lives smarter. He believes this is possible with a good network and support.
We can also compartmentalize smarter planet ideas into professional and personal as Sumant Renukarya has shown us:
At work: I focus, daily, on how to improve my own skills with assisting clients, I try to figure out what else I can improve, and of course I continue my own education.
Off work, there are a lot of small ways in which I am contributing to make a smarter planet. I teach Yoga; healthier people are a smarter planet I reach out to children and instill with them the importance of education. I use water efficiently, and in turn, save water. And here's an easy one: I switch off the power when it is not in use!
Lastly, we all know the following big industries:
- The Auto industry is making the planet smarter with their innovative hybrid & fuel-efficient cars.
- Hi-tech and mobile device companies are making the planet smarter with new efficient electronics, smart devices, and cutting-edge high efficiency technologies.
- Imaging companies are making the planet smarter with new imaging devices like high resolution digital cameras, optical recognition, medical imaging, pattern recognition software, etcetera.
- The Medical industry is making the planet smarter by constantly improving quality of life through their advances in technology.
- And Aerospace is also working to make a smarter planet through satellite mapping technologies, and a breadth of other innovative advances.
They are supported by IBM Rational Client Support!!!
Howard goes on to say: I am really proud that I am part of Rational Client Support and can provide support to those companies making the planet smarter. Whenever I interact with clients and keep their business running smoothly, I know that I am making an indirect but important contribution to a smarter planet.
So.... what are YOU doing to help make the planet smarter? We'd love to hear your ideas in the comments section!