Hi all, John Lance here. You may remember me from such past blog postings as "Week Numbers Redux" and "My Favorite Last Words" (including: "Arrrrrghhh" - Quint in Jaws "Arrrrghh" - Emperor Palpatine in Return of the Jedi, and "This actor is much better then that Booth fellow we saw last week - arrrgh" Abe Lincoln in Ford's Theater)
Moving right along....
We are looking at the selection model in Notes 8, particularly in the Inbox. We have heard some requests for the classic Notes gutter selection/checkmarks to be reintroduced, so we are considering two different options for post 8.0 releases:
1. A very black and white situation where you either use the Notes 8 windowy selection model OR the classic Notes gutter selection model (think Preferences).
2. A hybrid model whereby we integrate the two approaches as follows:
- We add a check column to the Inbox (the gutter).
- If Samantha selects an email in the Inbox by clicking in the Name, Subject, etc columns we follow the Windows selection model.
- If Samantha selects an email using the gutter then we follow the Notes gutter selection model.
Samantha will also be able to drag in the check column to select multiple items. There is a slight change in that if Samantha drags too far and then backtracks the selection is removed. In the Notes selection model once Samantha drags over an item it is selected/deselected - she cannot "pull back" if she goes too far:
The biggest impact is that in classic Notes you could check several items and then put the selection rectangle on something that was not selected. This would allow you to do things like Open the selected item without opening the checked items, which is a little hard for Samantha to grasp (in fact, we've gotten some negative feedback from users who do not understand why doubleclicking on the boxed item does not also open the checked items). The confusion is certainly understandable when you consider that when Samantha then does a Copy Selected as Table the checked items are included in the table, but not the item that has the box around it. So the hybrid model will not allow for this:
Other things to keep in mind about the hybrid model:
- If you scroll down so that the selected items are not on the page, and then click on an item, we follow the above selection rules.
- If you delete in the Inbox we will not support Logical deletes (ie X's in the gutter) but continue using the Trash Can.
And for the wise guys in the audience: No, selecting something will not automatically change the date. That is a mockup thing.
Thanks in advance.