Big news from Information Management yesterday - the announcement of DB2 9.7 for LUW AND InfoSphere Warehouse 9.7!
Here are three great ways to learn more about the announcement:
- For more information about how you can break free with DB2 9.7, check out the announcment page.
- Sign up for the Early Access Program. Participants in the Early Access Program can download the code, read the technical documentation, and get more information.
- Attend the DB2 9.7 Overview webcast (Chat with the Lab) on May 6, 11:30 AM ET to get additional details about the new release. Click here to register for the webcast.
You can be sure this announcement will be supported with new education resources... stay tuned and I'll post links as they become available!
Hopefully many of you had a chance to attend last week's episode of The DB2Night Show with Susan Visser talking about the Wonderful World of DB2 Resources. If you want to further your learning of DB2, you will be very interested in tomorrow's episode -- DB2 Compression Updates with Paul Z! Friday, February 19, 2010, 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM CST
Here's the scoop on this episode: Just about everyone in the DB2 LUW community should know "Paul Z". He's a published author and frequent speaker at conferences, he's funny, and he's the Program Director for DB2 Technical Evangelism inside IBM. In Episode #13, Paul Z will share with us the latest news and tips on DB2 9.7 compression PLUS compare and contrast DB2 compression to competitive database products like Oracle and SQL Server. If you'd like to know how to fit your multi-TB database on a USB thumb drive, make sure you register for and attend this show!!!
To reserve your seat, click here. This episode will be recorded for playback.
Show off your Information Management Professional Certifications with NEW premium certificates and wallet cards! The premium certificates are printed on an ultra-fine parchment paper and are officially embossed with the platinum seal of the Professional Certification Program from IBM. Included with the certificate is a newly designed wallet card. This new sleek card displays your name and certification title, demonstrating your status as an IBM Certified Professional.
You can choose to print certificates and wallet cards for certifications you earned prior to this announcement. Print more than one and save on shipping!
Check out the new certificate and eStore on the IBM Professional Certification Member Site.
As you can tell from reading my blog, I’m a big promoter of all things DB2. That is why the recent announcement that IBM DB2 is the first database to be recognized “VMware Ready” is so exciting. Not only is IBM DB2 first – but only IBM has a database management system recognized as VMWare ready. Read the full press release from VMware here.
Check out these links to learn more about IBM DB2 and VMware:
Will you be attending IDUG 2009 - North America in a few weeks? The event takes place May 11 - 15 in Denver, Colorado (one of my favourite places to visit!) If you are attending, you'll want to make the most of your days at the event. There are plenty of great speakers, panels, sessions, and opportunities to get certified!
The IDUG 2009 - North America conference will feature three complimentary IBM certification exams for each registered attendees covering a variety of DB2 topic areas. Certification exams typically cost $200 USD per test, however, because of IDUG's partnership with IBM, FREE certification testing is available for all registered IDUG attendees.For more information, check out: http://conferences.idug.org/na/GeneralInformation/CertificationTesting/tabid/381/Default.aspx
For information about the IDUG Conference schedule and speakers, visit: http://idugew.prod.web.sba.com/displaymod/GridDisplay.cfm?conference_id=76
Enjoy the event!
Registration for the IOD EMEA Conference, 19-21 May, Rome, Italy, opened last week! Early bird registration continues until Friday February 26. Register early and save up to € 610!
IOD EMEA 2010 offers a world-class technical and business leadership program and provides an unrivalled forum for our customers and Business Partners to share best practices, learn the latest on information-led transformation and network with peers.
If you are interested in speaking at the event, Call for Speakers is open until Friday January 29. Customers who are selected to speak may be eligible for a FREE conference pass (one per organization). Click here for more information about speaking at the event.
Learn more about the conference at the IOD EMEA website.
Another exciting event is the SPSS Directions European Conference 2010, 17-18 May, Rome, Italy.
The SPSS Directions European Conference will be co-located with the IOD EMEA conference at the Rome Marriott Park hotel on 17 and 18 May 2010. This gives customers and Business Partners the ability to attend both SPSS Directions and IOD EMEA and to experience the latest trends and best practices in predictive analytics.
For more information about the SPSS Directions conference, visit the conference website.
Are you a DB2 LUW or Informix client in North America? If so, you may have the opportunity to try the newest innovation from Information Management Support for your next service request - Technical Support Chat!
Technical Support Chat allows you to quickly interact 1:1 with one of our Level 2 Support Analysts online instead of over the phone. You can discuss your request and conveniently share command strings and URLs. At any time during the chat, you or the Analyst can choose to resolve the issue over the phone.
Technical Support Chat is currently in its pilot phase as we develop the functionality to work best for you. If you are a DB2 LUW or Informix client, try Technical Support Chat by clicking the 'Request to Chat' option on the right side of your screen after you open a new Service Request.
If you are not currently eligible for the pilot, check back here for updates on the availability of chat.
To learn about Technical Support Chat for Lotus, click here.
If you are interested in learning more about Information Mangement Support, keep visiting my blog!
If you live in or near my homebase of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, this post will be of interest to you!
On July 7th, IBM Business Partners and clients are invited to 3600 Steeles Avenue, Markham from 9:00am to 4:00pm to get certified at 50% off. You'll pay only $100USD for courses from across the entire Information Management portfolio. For a complete list of exams, please visit ibm.com/certify. Visit ibm.com/software/data/education to get prepared before exam day with a variety of preparation guides, tutorials and assessment exams.
Pre-registration is required for this event by contacting the event coordinator at email@example.com.
Best of luck on certification day!
Have you heard about Self-paced virtual classes (SPVC)? With no fixed schedule or travel requirements, SPVC offers students maximum flexibility and
control over their learning. Study where you want and when you want. And if that wasn't enough, an SPVC course is also a low cost training opportunity.
With all of the benefits of SPVC you might be thinking this is too good to be true! To prove to you that SPVC is the next big thing in Training, we'd like you to experience this exciting new learning method first hand with
our SPVC Trials Offering. You can view detailed course content, instructor demos, and class
exercises. Simply log in and experience a SPVC trial at NO CHARGE! Select classes are available in this trial format.
The trial courses include a portion of a real course that, depending on the
course, includes instructor lecture, demonstrations, and exercises. The trial
courses do not include access to the hands-on lab environments. However, a copy
of the lab exercise books are included on the materials tab.
So what are you waiting for? Visit ibm.com/software/data/education/spvctrials.html
to access a free trial.
Take your InfoSphere MDM Server skills to the next level with this new IM Certification! This test (Exam 420) will demonstrate your ability to configure and deploy InfoSphere MDM Server v9.0 in a development workstation along with being able to customize the data model and develop custom services through the use of the InfoSphere MDM Server v9.0 workbench.
This test covers the following major topics:Configure and Deploy InfoSphere MDM Server in a Development Workstation
MDM Server Architecture and Domain Model
Extensions and Additions (through Workbench)
External Rules and Validation
Suspect Duplicate Processing
Features and Functionality
To pass this 63 question exam, you will need a passing score of at least 67%. You will have 90 minutes to complete the exam.
Learn more about this exam and bring new MDM skills back to your workplace and team!
The wait is over! The highly anticipated Data Studio ebook titled Getting started with IBM Data Studio for DB2 is now available. And to top it off... it is FREE!
In this new book, you can:
- Find out what IBM Data Studio can do for you
- Learn everyday data management tasks
- Back up and recover DB2 databases
- Write and debug SQL stored procedures and routines
- Convert existing SQL or procedures to Web services
- Learn more about integrated data management
- Practice using hands-on exercises
Click here to learn more about the Data Studio ebook online and download a copy!
Happy new year everyone! I hope the holidays were both fun and restful for you and your families. Now you are most likely back at work and already hard at work!
Jump start your learning in 2010 using the developerWorks podcasts. Join Scott Laningham as he interviews IBM® developerWorks authors and editors as well as thought leaders in a variety of fields. Past guests have included Grady Booch, Tim Berners-Lee, John "Maddog" Hall, Tim O'Reilly, Chris Anderson, Jimmy Wales, Irving Wladawsky-Berger, and Carol Jones. You can listen directly from the website or download podcasts and play them at a later time.
Listen to these podcasts that may be of interest to you:
- Arvind Krishna, GM Information Management at IBM, talks about information-led transformation at the Information on Demand 2009 Global Conference.
- Todd Watson gives his thumbs up/thumbs down report for some highly touted tech of 2009.
- New - IT trends in 2010! Irshad Raihan, Worldwide Market Manager for IBM Data Management, talks about virtualization, the cloud, analytics, green it, and more.
Visit the developerWorks podcasts site to learn more, listen, or subscribe to the podcast RSS feed! You can also stay connected by reading the developerWorks podcasts blog.
I've been hearing great things about the Information On Demand Conference -- and I was happy to be able to see what's going on in the world of Services, Education, and Support today with the release of new IOD videos. Click the links below to view the videos:
IDUG has just announced a brand new contest for DB2 fans this Spring, titled "Do you DB2". You can win great prizes such as a WiFI enabled HD TV from Vizio or an Apple iPad by telling IDUG your best DB2 stories.
To enter, tell IDUG why you love working with DB2. Send a short essay (less than 1000 words) with interesting tid bits about your experience with any flavor or edition of DB2, and you could take home an HD TV or an Apple iPad. It’s that simple!
Visit http://www.idug.org/doyoudb2 to learn more and participate. This contest is open to all professionals and students in North America. IDUG wants to hear about your experience as a developer, tester, DBA, architect, manager, professor, CIO or CEO – it doesn’t matter what your scope or nature of experience with DB2 is – as long as your stories are memorable and unique, you have a great chance to win.
Stuck for ideas? Here are some sample topics:
- Usability, Performance, Scalability or High Availability of DB2
- Features: Deep Compression, SQL compatibility, pureXML, security, autonomics
- Cost or risk of migrating from another database vendor to DB2
- Experience with the DB2 maintenance and support given by IBM
- Proof points on why DB2 is the best database software
- Stories about the reach and value of DB2’s worldwide community, forums, events or education.
All entries will be judged by a panel of experts based on the following judging criteria:
- Novelty and originality of the content - 25%
- How unique is the content? What is the quality of the content?
- Efficacy of expression and persuasion - 25%
- How effective is the content in conveying the product’s superiority?
- Use of quantitative proof points - 50%
- How well is the personal experience of the participant conveyed through the use of quantitative metrics that demonstrate the product’s superiority?
The contest closes June 15, 2010. Good luck!!
Sam Lightstone from the IBM Toronto Lab will be the special guest on Episode 19 of The DB2Night Show on Friday May 28 at 10:00am central. Sam will be talking about his new best-selling book "Making it Big in Software." Sam will discuss what it takes to be successful and how one can accelerate their career in software.
In his book, Sam covers these topics and more:
- Get your next job in software development
- Master the nontechnical skills crucial to your success
- Work the organization to move up rapidly
- Successfully manage your time, projects, and life
- Minimize software project overruns
- Successfully manage your time, projects, and life
- Avoid killer mistakes that could destroy your career
- Move up to "medium-shot", "big-shot", and finally, "visionary"
- Launch your own winning software company
Reserve your studio audience free seat today!
Some may call September "back to school" season... but I like to think of it as the start of IOD season. Although many people have been working on it for months, this is when we really start to ramp up and get excited for the Information On Demand Conference. This year, IOD is taking place October 25-29 at the always fantastic venue of the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada. Will you be there?
In my next few blog posts, I'll be letting you know about key events, people, and places you need to know about at this year's IOD. Today's topic: Pre-conference Education
Why not start your IOD experience off with a bang and register for pre-conference education? These full-day classes will be offered on Sunday only, October 25th, 2009
from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center. As an IOD attendee, you can take advantage of preferred
attendee pricing of US $399.00 and get a full day of education,
delivered by professional IBM instructors. Seats for these classes are limited... so sign up soon to reserve your spot.
Here are the classes available to you:
- DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX & Windows DBA Certification Crammer (Exam 541) - Speaker: Roger Sanders
- DB2 for z/OS DBA Certification Crammer (Exam 732) - Speaker: Susan Lawson
- DB2 Operational Performance - Success without Stress - Speakers: Rajib Sarkar and Albert Grankin
- DB2 LUW 9, x Problem Determination - Speaker: Aman Lalla
- IBM FileNet BPM 4.5: Optimizing Your Process for Information on Demand - Speakers: Mary Paez and Phong Chu
- Leveraging DB2 Optimizer - Speaker: Samir Kapoor
- Overview of IBM Cognos 8 BI (Version 8.4) - Speaker: John Wilcox
One of the most popular features of our Information on Demand Conference each year continues to be FREE Information Management Certification testing. And I can understand why - earning an industry-recognized IBM Information Management certification is a great way to validate your skills on our newest products. So, if you are a registered Information On Demand attendee, you'll want to start preparing now for your upcoming certification exam.
Here are the details:
- Attendees may take up to three IM (including SPSS, Cognos and ECM) exams at no charge
- A discounted fee of $100 USD for subsequent exams will apply.
- The discounted price of $100 also applies for all Lotus, Rational, Tivoli, WebSphere, SOA, and XML Certification exams.
- Our complimentary FileNet Certification Exams will be available to attendees.
- Our Technical Sales Mastery exams will also be offered at the event free of charge to attendees.
- As always, candidates may re-take most software certification exams if they have failed as there are two versions of each exam available.
To make sure your are successful on exam day, start using our prep resources now to get prepared!
Certification at IOD will be available during the following hours:
Sunday 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.*
Monday 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.*
Tuesday 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.*
Wednesday 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.*
Thursday 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.*
* Please note: The closing times listed above are for the last exam seating available on that day.
Special Offer: Free Certification Assessment Testing for Registered IOD Attendees!
IBM is offering free online certification assessment testing (practice tests) to Information Management On Demand 2010 registered attendees! This offer has been designed to help you prepare for the complimentary Information Management Professional Certification offered at the conference. The Information Management assessment tests will be available free of charge two weeks prior to and during the event, October 10 through October 28, 2010. Normally these tests are offered for a fee of $10 each. Now you can prepare and become an IBM Certified Professional and take your job knowledge to the next level at no charge to you! Please note assessment test quantities are limited, only one complimentary assessment test per person.
To take advantage of this offer you must be a registered attendee. Registered attendees will receive event emails throughout the month of October and in these emails will be the promotion code needed to take advantage of this offer. Once you have the code, simply visit the Information Management Certification Assessment Website, select the link to access the Prometric assessment testing site and enter promotion code during the checkout process to qualify for a free assessment test! If for some reason you did not receive the promotion code in your conference email, please contact the Information Management Certification Team and we can assist you.
To learn more about certification testing at IOD, click here.
As a new part of my job this year, I started working closely with our IM Software Services team. I am constantly impressed by the wide variety of solutions these experts provide for our clients, and I am happy to say you will be able to talk to some of these experts in person at Information on Demand 2010!
If you aren't familiar with our IM Software Services team, here is a quick overview:
The IM Software Services team is comprised of a worldwide group 700+ industry and technology experts who can work as your technology and business partners to help you achieve successful implementation and deployment of your software solution. This team will help you maximize business benefits, mitigate risk, and maximize your return on investment. This of IM Software Services as the “heart surgeons" when it comes to IM Software engagements.
How we help you succeed:
When implementing an Information Management solution it is critical to have an experienced team involved to ensure you achieve the results you want the first time -- through a proven, low risk delivery approach. The Information Management Services team has the capabilities to meet a diverse set of needs, and is ready to deliver your Information Management solution in an efficient and cost effective manner to accelerate your Return On Investment. We offer a broad and flexible range of planning, custom education, design engineering, implementation and solution support services. Our consultants have deep technical knowledge, industry skills, and delivery experience from thousands of engagements worldwide.
To meet with our Services experts to discuss how they can help you, visit the Services, Education, and Support Hub in the EXPO, booth 504.
The IM Software Services team will also be in the Business Partner Cafe at IOD discussing our popular Guardian offering. Our Guardian solution is particularly useful for clients who:
- Are trying to deliver an Information Management (IM) solution within a tight budget and may not have the right skills, experience, and solution expertise to ensure it’s done successfully
- Are planning an implementation with new or recently released Information Management software that the client is unfamiliar with and need best practices and guidance to develop an efficient plan that will maximize the use of IM technology
- Are facing project risks associated with the overall solution environment the client is working in and finding challenges with approaching the integration of multiple, complex technologies
The Business Partner Cafe is located in Bayside D in the Expo Center, open Monday and Tuesday, 10:30 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday, 10:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Looking forward to hearing about IOD this week! Look for a blog about how to connect with the event from home to be posted on Monday! You can also follow us on Twitter using hashtag #iodskills
For our overview of Electronic Support at IOD, I'm happy to be able to share a blog from our eSupport team!
Vegas BABY!! Information On Demand!!
It’s that time of the year again when all Information Management and Business Analytics experts come together and share their knowledge with colleagues. Are you going? Bill Maciver, Bob Haataia, and Mandee Ross will be there helping you get started with our online technical support tools. Are you already aware and using our online tools, but still have questions? Enhance your online technical support knowledge and increase you skill level by attending one of the following IBM Electronic Support sessions.
- Expo Ped #504 (Personalized mini-sessions – Take control): Make this your personalized mini-session. No appointment required and no formal presentation or demonstration. Take control of your online support session with an interactive demo of the Support Portal, My Notifications, Fix Central, IBM Support Assistant, Service Request and more.
Available in the EXPO Hall at the following times:
- Sunday, October 24, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Monday, October 25, 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Tuesday, October 26, 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, October 27 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM
- Sign up for session # 3864- "See How the IBM Support Portal Can Work for You“: Join us for a live demo of the IBM Support Portal. See how it brings all online technical support resources for IBM hardware and software together in one place. Learn how it lets you troubleshoot multiple products in combination, refine searches to pinpoint information quickly, and personalize pages to the way you work.
Here are the details:
- Presenter: Bob Haataia, Electronic Support Customer adoption Lead
- Day: Sunday, October 24th, 2010
- Time: 7:00 p.m.
- Location: IBM EXPO Theater by AVL Lounge
- Session: 3864
- Sign up for session # 3839 - "See How the IBM Support Portal Can Work for You“: Join us for a live demo of the IBM Support Portal. See how it brings all online technical support resources for IBM hardware and software together in one place. Learn how it lets you troubleshoot multiple products in combination, refine searches to pinpoint information quickly, and personalize pages to the way you work.
Here are the details:
- Presenter: Bill Maciver, Sr Mgr Electronic Support
- Day: Tuesday, October 26th, 2010
- Time: 2:00 pm
- Location: IBM EXPO Theater by AVL Lounge
- Session: 3839
- Sign-up for session # BOF-2354A - "Your Support Experience – Customized": Tour, Try and Talk About The New IBM Support Portal. Join us for a live demo and discussion about the new IBM Support Portal. Learn how the IBM Support Portal brings all on-line support resources for IBM hardware and software offerings together in one place. We will explore how the portal lets you troubleshoot multiple products in combination, refine searches to pinpoint the exact information you need, and personalize the pages to reflect the way you work. This is a unique opportunity to share your feedback with our expert to further enhance your user experience.
Here are the details:
- Presenter: Mandee Ross, Electronic Support Project Manager
- Day: Thursday, October 28th, 2010
- Time: 01:00 PM - 01:45 PM
- Location: Mandalay Bay South Convention Center - Mandalay Bay J
- Session: 2354A
You can also keep up with Electronic Support on Twitter using hash tag id #iodES. If you haven't registered for IOD, there's still time! Click here to register.
Have you been thinking about taking an IBM Professional certification? If so, you are going to be interested in a new (and cost effective) way to become certified: Assess and Save!
Here's what you do:
- Determine which IBM Professional Certification will best grow your skills and demonstrate your expertise. Check out the Certification program overview, and the Certification roadmaps to learn more about the program and choose an exam.
- Study, study, study to get prepared! Visit the exam preparation page to find study resources (including some FREE resources!)
- Take a self-assessment test. IBM offers online self assessment exams for each Information Management Professional Certification exam. These practice tests enable you to test your readiness for an exam for a minimal fee, helping you to be successful when you take the actual exam.With the Assess and Save Offer, candidates who purchase and pass any Information Management Online Assessment Exam through Prometric Testing from February 1, 2009 to April 30, 2009 will receive a 50% off voucher good toward the purchase of the corresponding exam at the IBM Authorized Testing Provider, Prometric. That's $100 right back in your pocket!
- Register to take the actual exam at a Prometric Testing Centre (using the voucher number provided) and Save!
Make sure your investment in certification is a smart one: why not save money AND build your skills? For full details about Assess and Save, check out ibm.com/software/data/education/voucher.html
. [Read More
By now you've probably heard all about Instructor-Led Online training. Hopefully you've checked our newly updated ILO webpage to find out why now, more than ever, it make sense to train on your turf rather than travel.
Our ILO offerings have expanded. Not only are courses that were previously offered in a traditional classroom format are now available through ILO, we've also added two new types of ILO learning.
- ILO Flex Time: offers courses that are divided into smaller portions taught over a few weeks, so you can improve your skills while keeping up with your day-to-day work. For example, a traditional two-day course might be offered on Tuesday and Thursday evenings for two-weeks, four-hours per session.
- ILO Select: offers short two-to-three hour lectures on a targeted topic so you can get the skills you need quickly.
On December 16, 2008 you can take an ILO Select course for free! Sign up for the Basics of the Data Studio Environment (3E060). This course normally costs $199 USD but is available on December 16 for free. I could go on and on about why you should sign up, but this is such a deal that no superlatives are required! Spaces are limited so sign up now!
So, give ILO a try on December 16 and then start thinking about incorporating the new ILO offerings into your 2009 training plan.
One of the most popular reasons to attend the Information on Demand conference is to take home the latest skills on our products, such as DB2, Informix, Initiate, Guardium, IBM solidDB, Information Analyzer, and MORE! When you book your flights for this year's Information On Demand Conference, why not arrive a day early to take advantage of a full day of education from expert IBM instructors for a seriously discounted price?
All of the pre-conference classes are offered at a discounted price of $499 USD! The classes are offered on Sunday only, October 24, 2010 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center.
See the list of the available courses below. For more detailed course descriptions and to enroll, visit http://bit.ly/imservices.
Initiate Fundamentals (E5905) with Tyson Carter
Gain a well-rounded overview to the Initiate product suite, including solutions, terminology, and processes that are common to most Initiate implementations.
An Introduction to Guardium Database Monitoring Solution (E5908) with William Manty
Learn from this overview of the Guardium solution, focusing on database access monitoring (DAM) and compliance work flow automation.
IBM solidDB Universal Cache Fundamentals (E5903) with Marko Milek and John Seery
Discover the relational in-memory database technology and high-speed advanced replication components which comprise the solidDB Universal Cache.
DB2 9 LUW Problem Determination (E5972) with Aman Lalla
Learn how to identify and resolve problems such as database hangs, locking problems, crashes and optimizer/performance problems. DB2 V9 also provides various problem determination facilities and tools such as DB2PD.
DB2 for z/OS DBA Certification Crammer -Exams 730 and 732 (E5976) with Information Champion Susan Lawson
Prepare with the expert for the DB2 9 Family Fundamentals exam (730) and DB2 9 for z/OS Database Administration exam (732) through this comprehensive overall review of the areas that will be on the certification exams (both the 730 – DB2 9 Family Fundamentals and the 732 – DB2 9 for z/OS).
DB2 9.7 for Linux UNIX & Windows DBA Certification Crammer - Exam 541 (E5973) with Information Champion Roger Sanders
Prepare to take and pass the DB2 9.7 DBA for Linux, UNIX, and Window certification exam (Exam 541)! The material for this course is aligned with the 541 exam objectives.
Business Glossary Essentials (DX760) with Rick Rice
Learn about the Business Glossary component of the 8.1 version of Information Server, including a brief introduction in the various types of metadata, with a focus on business metadata. An overview of how the Business Glossary fits into the InfoSphere Information Server landscape will be discussed.
FastTrack Essentials (DX810) with John Kelleher
Get acquainted with FastTrack and learn how to use it to create Mapping Specifications from which DataStage jobs can be generated.
Getting to Know Information Analyzer (E5920) with Renee Jenkins
Learn the concepts and methods used to perform information analysis. Learn how to use IBM Information Analyzer and AuditStage to analyze data and report results to business users.
Getting to Know Metadata Workbench (E5935) with Pavan Marpaka
Learn the uses and features of Metadata Workbench within the Information Server environment. This course looks at the Metadata Workbench from both an Administrator and User point of view.
Information Server Overview (E5960) with Dale Buckingham
Discover Information Server V8x product suite functionality! The class will discuss the core products that can be part of the Information Server architecture.
InfoSphere Streams (E5986) with Robert Uleman
Learn what problems InfoSphere Streams helps solve and how its innovative architecture and programming paradigm let you create tailored solutions for the most demanding requirements you face. Take a deep dive through the capabilities of the runtime environment and the programming framework; the lecture is punctuated by several live demonstrations.
DB2 9 for z/OS System Administrator Crammer Class -Exam #737 (E5998) with Information Champion Judy Nall
This one-day review crammer course guides you through the six testing sections that comprise the #737 Exam. The class does not have hands-on labs but review questions accompany each section of the lecture material.
For more detailed course descriptions and to enroll, visit http://bit.ly/imservices.
Some of our most popular certification exams at IOD 2009 were the new exams available for DB2 9.7. These exams were just released a few months ago and conference attendees were eager to give them a try.
See the new certifications and brief descriptions below:
IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, & Windows (Exam 541)
If you are knowledgeable with DB2 9.7 and are capable of performing the intermediate to advanced skills required in the day-to-day administration of DB2 instances and databases, you may benefit from this certification role.
Note: passing one of Exams 700 or 730 is required to take Exam 541.
- Number of questions: 60
- Time allowed in minutes: 90
- Required passing score: 61%
- Test languages: English
Learn more about Exam 541.
IBM Certified Application Developer, DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, & Windows (Exam 543)
This certification exam certifies that the successful candidate has important knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to design, build, execute, and deploy DB2 9.7 database applications.
Significant experience with intermediate or advanced level skills in developing applications that interact with DB2 databases. This individual has strong skills in DB2 SQL and in database application development concepts.
Note: passing one of Exams 700 or 730 is required to take Exam 543.
- Number of questions: 60
- Time allowed in minutes: 90
- Required passing score: 60%
- Test languages: English
Learn more about Exam 543.
Advanced DB2 9.7 certification
The IBM Certified Advanced Database Administrator, DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, & Windows (Exam 544) certification will be available in 2010.
View the DB2 9.7 roadmap and other available roadmaps.
It is hard to believe it is September. The summer certainly kept me hopping and left me with little time to blog. I apologize for this long gap and I promise, you'll be hearing from me much more frequently starting TODAY!
For me and the other members of my team, September means one thing... the 2010 Information On Demand Conference is just around the corner! 47 days to be exact! Like last year, I will be writing a blog series on everything that is going on at IOD for Information Management Services, Education, and Support. This series will include:
- Pre-conference education classes: getting the most from your IOD learning experience
- FREE Information Management Certification exams, new exams, and how to get prepared
- Conference Bookstore: your source for printed and electronic books about all things Information Management and more
- Meet us at the Hub: Talk to the experts from IM Services, Education, and Support in the EXPO
- IM Software Services at IOD
- IM Software Subscription & Support at IOD
- IM Accelerated Value Program at IOD
- Connecting with the event from home
- and MORE!
I look forward to sharing all the excitement with you as we get ready for the conference. Look for my first post on Pre-Conference Education to be out later this week.
In the meantime, you can start connecting with the Information on Demand Conference Community Online. Join the conversation on Twitter, get the latest updates from your peers on Facebook and LinkedIn, and see what's happening on the conference floor via YouTube!
With IOD less than a week away, I can start to feel the excitement building here at the Toronto Lab and on our social media channels. The conference is shaping up to be better than ever -- and our Services, Education, and Support Hub is no exception!
So... you my be wondering "what exactly is the Hub and why should I make sure to stop by for a visit?" I'm glad you asked. The Services, Education, and Support Hub is the SINGLE location at IOD to connect with our Information Management Experts. They will be at the Hub, ready, willing, and able to answer any and all of your Services, Education, and Support questions. The Hub is located in the EXPO, booth 504, next to the Developer's Den and is open during the regular EXPO hours. Here are a few examples of questions I'd like to ask the experts at The Hub.
- Do you have any new eLearning options for Training? I want to take a course in the next few months but I need to keep my schedule flexible and I do not have budget to travel.
- I have heard about the IBM Education Pack. How would my company benefit from this?
- What are the latest certification exams?
- How can I get my unique eLearning access code to take my complimentary self-paced eLearning class?
- AND MORE!
- What is IM Software Services?
- I will be working on a large migration project next year. Why should I encourage my management team to use IM Services for this migration?
- Who do I talk to if I want to engage IM Software Services on a project?
- AND MORE!
- I've been hearing about your IBM Support Portal. Can you show me how it works and how I can customize it?
- Are there new Support tools that can make my job easier?
- I've heard about the Technical Support Chat pilot
- AND MORE!
Don't miss this great opportunity to discuss your Services, Education, and Support questions, challenges, and successes 1:1 with an expert. Start thinking of your questions today so you are ready to jump start your IOD experience with a visit to the Hub.
Plan to stop by The Hub, located in the EXPO, booth 504, next to the Developer's Den! For more information, click here.
The Information on Demand Conference is only 10 days away... so what should you be doing now to make sure you are ready to make the most of your IOD experience? Well, I'll be happy to give you a few suggestions!
First things first, check out the conference schedule and plan your activities. You'll get more done and won't miss out on exciting opportunities such as talks, demos, and book signings if you know what is going on where. That said, everything is not on the master schedule (it would be impossible to list it all)... so I suggest checking out the IM IOD Services webpage to find the important IM activities/events of the conference. These include:
- Support, Services and Education Hub
- Information Management Services Consulting Corner
- Pre-conference Education Classes
- IM Education Hands-on Demo Room
- Discounted Online Education
- Support Tools and Resources Demonstrations
- Free Certification Testing and Certification Lounge
- IBM Redbooks
Now, one of the highlights for many attendees each year is the opportunity to take FREE Information Management Certification Exams. But remember... this is only a great opportunity if to choose to study before you go. Don't try to wing it - get prepared!! Visit the Information Management Certification program website to find Roadmaps, Preparation guides, Preparation tutorials, Practice tests, and Certification guides. If you don't know which exams you want to take, you can search for exams here.
Another suggestion is know who you want to talk to. IOD is one of the rare times when some of the best minds in IM Services, Support and Education are available to chat directly with you. If you've been thinking of engaging Services on a project or setting up onsite training at your organization, for example, think ahead and come to the conference ready to ask your questions and discuss possibilities. You don't want to leave the conference wishing you'd asked someone a question when you had the chance... so take every opportunity!
In addition to knowing who you want to talk to, know what information you want to bring back to your workplace. To do this, I'd encourage you to visit an eLiterature kiosk at the event. eLiterature kiosks are located all around the Expo (including the Skill Hub) and allow you to browse through available information, select only those pieces relevant to you, and have them delivered direct to your email address. No need to lug a bag of paper around anymore! Like many of my colleagues, I've been busily populating the kiosks with the latest info about IM Education and more... so be sure to check out a kiosk when you see one at the event.
Learn more about the conference and register at the conference website. I hope you enjoy IOD 2009!
Part of my job is to work with the Information Management Certification Program Manager, Susan Dykman, to get the word out about new and popular certifications. Earning an industry-recognized IBM certification is a great way to validate your skills and keep up-to-date with the latest Data Server products.
DB2 9 certifications have been very popular this year, including DB2 9 Fundamentals (Exam 730), DB2 9 Database Administrator for Linux, UNIX, and Windows (Exam 731), DB2 9 Database Administrator for z/OS (Exam 732), DB2 9 Application Developer (Exam 733), and DB2 9 Advanced Database Administrator for Linux, UNIX, and Windows (Exam 734). Many people have questions, however, about the new upgrade exam for DB2 9 – DB2 9 Database Administrator for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Upgrade (Exam 736). Read on for some information about the upgrade exam and to find out if you qualify.
Upgrade Exams 101
Upgrade Exam 736 allows individuals with a DB2 UDB v8.1 Database Administrator for LUW certification to bypass Exams 730 and 731 when upgrading their certification to DB2 9. However, to maintain the integrity of the certification program, restrictions on who is eligible to take this upgrade exam are necessary. These restrictions include:
- Individuals who took Exam 706 to upgrade from DB2 UDB V7 DBA certification to DB2 UDB V8 DBA certification are not eligible to take Exam 736
- Individuals who attained a DB2 UDB V8.1 DBA certification without taking exam 700 are not eligible to take Exam 736
- Individuals who hold a DB2 UDB V7 DBA certification and did not upgrade to V8 are not eligible to take Exam 736
What does this mean for me?
Check out the list below to find out what exams you need to take to get DBA for LUW certified on DB2 9:
- If you’ve taken Exams 512 & 513 for a DB2 UDB v7.1 DBA certification, you’ll need to take either Exam 700 or 730, and 731
- If you’ve taken Exams 512 & 701 for a DB2 UDB v8.1 DBA, you’ll need to take either Exam 700 or 730, and 731
- If you’ve taken Exams 700 & 701 for a DB2 UDB v8.1 DBA, you’ll need to take either Exam 731 or 736
- If you’ve taken Exams 512, 513, and 706 for a DB2 UDB v8.1 DBA, you’ll need to take either Exam 700 or 730, and 731
- If you’ve never taken a certification exam for DB2, you’ll need to take Exam 730 and 731
If all these numbers are making your head spin, check out the list below to see the corresponding certification for each exam number:
To learn more, visit:Online exam information - ibm.com/certify/tests/test_index_bd.shtmlPrintable exam prep documents - ibm.com/software/data/education/certprep.htmlRoadmaps - ibm.com/software/data/education/cert-roadmaps.html
- Exam 512: DB2 UDB V7.1 Family Fundamentals
- Exam 513: DB2 UDB V7.1 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Database Administration
- Exam 700: DB2 UDB V8.1 Family Fundamentals
- Exam 701: DB2 UDB V8.1 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Database Administration
- Exam 706: DB2 UDB V8.1 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Database Administration Upgrade
- Exam 730: DB2 9 Fundamentals
- Exam 731: DB2 9 DBA for Linux, UNIX and Windows
- Exam 736: DB2 9 Database Administrator for Linux UNIX and Windows Upgrade
You asked for it, and now it's here again! The Assess and Save offer is back!
If you purchase and PASS an Information Management Online Assessment Test between now and May 31, 2011, you will receive a 50% off certification voucher good for the corresponding exam. That's right, you'll save $100 USD! Your voucher will be valid until July 31, 2011.
Assessment tests are available for every Information Management Professional Certification Exam. These "practice tests" allow you to test your readiness for a minimal fee, helping you to be successful on exam day. Click here to take an Assessment test.
Learn more about the Assess and Save offer!
I can hardly believe that Information On Demand 2009 is well underway! Many of my colleagues are at the event running activities like the Skills Hub, Certification Lab, Certification Lounge, IOD Bookstore, and more!
If, like me, you aren't physically at the event, you can still follow it from home. I was just checking out Twitter @IODGC2009 and it really is buzzing with activity. In the time I was looking (less than 5 minutes) 40+ new tweets became available. Impressive! So as my last entry in my IOD 2009 series, I am going to provide you with ways to connect with the event from home.
Read about important sessions as they happen with live blogging! Adam Gartenberg is updating his blog directly from the event. Check out his blog here. He has already posted a very thorough blog about the opening session with many posts on the way I'm sure! Adam also points to Todd Watson's blog as he is also blogging live from IOD.
A huge number of tweets are being sent out by attendees and IBMers directly from the event. Follow @IODGC2009 and the #IOD2009 twitter hashtag for all the newest posts. Adam Gartenberg posted a handy list of IDs to follow from @IOD2009 - check out his list here.
Experience a virtual EXPO floor with virtual spaces - new for 2009! Create your personal avatar an interact with all the pedestals that are available on the real expo floor! Learn more at the IOD Virtual Spaces website.
If you'd like to learn more about some of the IM activities going on at the event for Support, Services, and Education, check out the other posts in my IOD series:
Time for entry two in my IOD series. Today's topic: FREE (that's right... FREE) certification testing for registered attendees.
Here are the details: Registered IOD Attendees can take up to three Information Management exams at no charge. This includes COGNOS exams. If three won't cut it and you'd like to take more certification exams, you pay a discounted fee of $100 USD per exam (that is a savings of 50% off the regular price).
If you would like to take a Lotus, Rational, Tivoli, WebSphere, SOA, and/or XML certification exam, you can do so at the discounted price of $100 USD. FileNet Certification Exams and Technical Sales Mastery exams will also be available free of charge at IOD.
When people ask me for certification tips, I always tell them study, study, study! Take advantage of resources before you get to IOD so you are ready on testing day. These resources include certification study guides, free online preparation tutorials, and online practice tests to assess your readiness prior to IOD. And, if you are swamped leading up to the conference, why not register for one of our pre-conference certification crammer courses?
As always, new certification exams will be available at this year's IOD conference, including:
- IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, & Windows, Exam 541
- IBM Certified Application Developer, DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, & Windows, Exam 543
- IBM Certified Database Associate, Informix Dynamic Server V11.50, Exam 555
- IBM Certified Specialist, IBM Optim Implementation for Distributed Systems (2009), Exam 551
- IBM Certified Specialist, IBM solidDB and IBM solidDB Universal Cache, Exam 550
- IBM Certified Solution Developer, InfoSphere QualityStage v8.0, Exam 419
Learn more about these new exams on the certification website
Add a new industry-recognized certification designation to your list of 'to-dos' a this year's IOD conference to grow your skills for 2010.
IOD certification testing will be at the Mandalay Bay Hotel. The testing lab will be located on Level 2 of the South Convention Center in Surf DEF. Visit the conference website for more information, such as hours of operation. If you would like to register for IOD, click here.
For my first entry in this new blog I thought it would be fitting to write about something new to training. You've likely already heard the phrase Instructor-Led Online (ILO), but you may not be familiar with exactly what it is, and why we're so excited about this new way to train.
What is ILO?
To understand ILO, it is helpful to compare it to a traditional online or distance education class. As a recent university grad, I took plenty of distance education classes over the last few years. While they were convenient, I didn't always like feeling so remote from the professor and other students. Instructor-Led Online is as convenient as a distance education course, but also gives you personal interaction with the instructor. Since you take the class on a specific date and time with a group of students, you can ask questions and clarify material as questions arise - there is no need to send an email and wait for a response. Like a distance education class, ILO course content is exactly the same as the classroom version of the course, so you can feel confident that you are learning the same material as students who took the course in the classroom.
Why take an ILO course?
There are many reasons to sign up for an ILO course. I listed some of them above, such as convenience and instructor interaction. Here are some more reasons:
- Go green - ILO eliminates the need to travel, so if you are looking for ways to decrease your carbon footprint, ILO is the way to go.
- Save time - you can take an ILO course from your home or office. All you need is a high-speed internet connection and you're ready to connect.
- Great instructors - ILO courses are taught by the same world-class instructors who teach IBM classroom training.
- Gain skills - training of any kind is an ideal way to build skills in key areas.
- Plenty of choice - with over 30 ILO courses currently being offered for Information Management, you have a variety of courses to choose from.
- Hands-on Labs - to reinforce what you learn, most ILO courses feature hands-on lab work available for the duration of the course.
If you want to get more information on ILO, check out ibm.com/software/data/education/ilo.html. You'll find an ILO demo, a recently recorded podcast, an ILO 101 data sheet and more.
I hope this has provided you some insight about ILO. If you have any other questions, send a comment and I'll do my best to find you an answer.
To continue my IOD series, I am going to tell you about the money you can save on IBM Web-Based Training as an Information on Demand attendee.
Let’s face it – you may not have had the same budget to take training courses and build your skills this year that you had in previous years. But that doesn’t mean you can afford to fall behind on your skills and education plans. It is now more important than ever to stay current and ahead of your peers.
IOD 2009 Attendees can grow their skills without breaking the bank. This is because all attendees from the US and Canada receive a 65% discount on select IBM Web-Based Training (WBT) courses! Talk about a great way to extend your conference education with training that is both convenient and cost effective.
Course collections include:
- Data Management Collection: List price $1498, You pay $525 (65% off!)
- DB2 Everyplace V9 Tutorial
- DB2 LUW – Developer in a Day Workshop
- DB2 LUW V9.5 Fundamentals
- Informix Dynamic Server V11
- Cognos Collection: List Price $894, You pay $315 (65% off!)
- IBM Cognos 8 Analysis for Excel: Analyze Data in Microsoft Excel (V8.4)
- IBM Cognos 8 BI Analysis Studio: Analyze Data (V8.4)
- IBM Cognos 8 BI Cognos Connection for Consumers (V8.4)
- IBM Cognos 8 BI Go! Dashboard (V8.4)
- IBM Cognos 8 BI Query Studio: Build Ad Hoc Reports (V8.4)
- IBM Cognos 8 BI Report Studio: Introduction (V8.4)
- Enterprise Content Management Collection: List Price $1,695, You pay $595 (65% off!)
- What's New with IBM FileNet P8 4.5
- IBM FileNet P8 Prerequisite Skills 4.5
- Enterprise Architecture and Frameworks
- Business Continuity Planning
- BPM for Success
- Imaging Essentials
- InfoSphere Collection: List Price $750, You pay $265 (65% off!)
- Overview of IBM Information Server DataStage - v8
- Introduction to IBM Information Analyzer - v8
- How to Analyze Data (Using Information Analyzer) - v8
- Overview of QualityStage
- Overview of InfoSphere Information Services Director – v8
Stop by the Support, Services and Education Hub or the IM Education Hands-on Demo Room at IOD to discover the value of self-paced training.
Customers and Business Partners who attend the conference will receive an e-mail with complete instructions on how to purchase the WBT Collections at this exclusive 65% discount immediately after the conference ends. The discount offer is available until January 31, 2010 and access to courses expires on March 31, 2010.
For more information about this discount, click here.
To sign up for IOD 2009, click here.
The countdown to Information Management 2010 is on! 15 days to go - I can't believe it!
When you are at the conference, make sure you take time to visit our Conference Bookstore. Rather than tell you about it myself, I'm going to point you to blogs from our book expert, Susan Visser, who has been blogging about this for weeks.
Here are a few blog entries you might be interested in:
The Information on Demand Conference is under way! This morning, I was excited to be able to watch the opening keynote live on my computer! There are many ways to connect with the event from home. Check out my suggestions below:
- On the IOD GC website, you can watch streaming video of the conference throughout the day. See the EXPO, listen to keynote speeches, watch interviews with key IBMers and IOD attendees.
- Follow the event on Twitter, using hashtag #iodgc or #baforum. If you want to follow our Services, Education, and Support activities specifically, follow hashtag #iodskills.
- Connect with all conference social media at the conference website.
- Attend Information On Demand Virtual 2010 -- the next best thing to being at the conference! Register early to gain access to two virtual events on November 17 and December 15 at no charge. You will see the top five sessions from IOD, catch highlights of keynotes and general session and chat live with IBM experts, without ever leaving your desk. These focused virtual sessions will provide the latest trends and industry strategies. Doors open at 12:30PM EST and scheduled sessions begin promptly at 1:00PM EST.
On November 17, you can:
- Attend webcasts of the top five sessions at IOD Global Conference 2010
- Participate in a chat session with IBM experts
- Experience the IOD Global Conference 2010 General Session presentations on demand….at your leisure
- Get valuable reference documentation from the Resource Center
On December 15, you can:
- Attend webcasts featuring IBM customer success stories
- Experience the November 17 event on demand…at your leisure
Click here to sign up for Information On Demand Virtual 2010!
For those of you at the event, I hope you are having a productive, informative, and fun experience. And, for those like me who are attending from home, I hope you find the links I've shared useful.
Attention everyone... T minus 17 days to Information on Demand 2009. I can't believe it is almost here!
So for my next IOD post I am going to cover the always popular Bookstore and Support Tools and Resources Demos.
My coworker and fellow blogger, Susan Visser, is the Publishing Program Manager for Information Management. As always, she'll be at the bookstore at IOD ready to point you in the direction of the books you need on your shelf - you know, the ones that will help you out when you've hit a wall programming, or ones that give you tips to get certified, or even the ones about new topics you want to learn about.
Highlights of the IOD 2009 Bookstore include:
- Book signing by Malcolm Gladwell, author of Outliers, Blink and The Tipping Point.
- New IBM Press Books, including the following:
- DB2 pureXML Cookbook: Master the Power of the IBM Hybrid Data Server
- Fine-Tuning the Business of Information Technology: A Practical Guide to Optimizing Your IT Budget
- Dynamic SOA and BPM
- IBM SOA Foundation
- Viral Data in SOA: An Enterprise Pandemic
- The Greening of IT
- and more!
Visit Susan's blog or the IOD Services page for more information about the bookstore.
The Support Tools and Resources Demos are the place to be if you want to learn about IBM Electronic Support (aka IBM eSupport) and the new IBM Support Portal. Learn from the experts who will highlight online Support tools and resources including the Support Knowledge Base, documentation, proactive alerts and notifications, fix pack downloads, the Electronic Service Request tool and more. Plus learn how you can personalize the IBM Support Portal to your products and interests.
Demos are available:
- Thursday 12:30 - Tour, Try and Talk About The New IBM Support Portal (BOF-2838)
- Thursday 1:30 - How can I resolve my problems faster using IBM Electronic Support? (TOD-2643)
For more information about the demos or the Bookstore, visit the IOD Services page.
There is still time to register! Click here for more information.
Oh yes... and here's the tip!
Visit the Skills Hub to pick up a copy of a DB2 Skills DVD packed with resources, games, and software. Visit early because last year these DVDs were gone quickly!
As we head into August and start to enjoy some hot summer days (those of us in Toronto are saying... finally!!) you might be looking for something to read to refresh or build your skills before the busy fall season approaches. I recommend that you check out IBM Redbooks for focused material relevant to your area of work. Thousands of Redbooks are available by visiting ibm.com/redbooks. Click here
to view the most popular IBM Redbooks.
to view the newest IBM Redbooks.
Here are a few new and updated Redbooks that may be of interest to you:
You can view Redbooks in PDF format or order a hard copy.
Have you been thinking about earning a DB2 9 certification over the next few months? Do you want to validate your skills and increase your earning potential? Then you’ll be interested in the Certify and Save promotion announced today by Information Management Training.
The Certify and Save promotion works like this: buy a DB2 9 certification guide and get a voucher for 50% off the cost of the associated Information Management Professional Certification exam. You’ll save approximately $75 USD with your voucher which easily covers the cost of the certification guide!
Here are the details:
- Buy one of the certification guides available for DB2 9 at any US bookstore (physical store, online store, even our conference bookstore at IDUG North America)
- Sign up for the offer on the promotion registration site or before June 30, 2008
- Receive your promotion qualification email from IBM
- Following the instructions in your qualification email, send proof of book purchase to IBM on or before July 15, 2008
- Receive your professional certification voucher valid for the guide's corresponding exam
- Take the certification exam through Thompson Prometric on or before August 31, 2008, redeem the voucher, and save $75
Here are the available guides and the associated exams:
- Purchase DB2 9 Fundamentals Certification Study Guide by Roger Sanders, ISBN: 1583470727... Receive a voucher for Exam 730: DB2 9 Fundamentals
- Purchase DB2 9 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Database Administration: Certification Study Guide by Roger Sanders, ISBN: 1583470778... Receive a voucher for Exam 731: DB2 9 DBA for LUW
- Purchase DB2 9 for z/OS Database Administration: Certification Study Guide by Susan Lawson, ISBN: 1583470743... Receive a voucher for Exam 732: DB2 9 DBA for z/OS
I’m really excited about this promotion because it is a practical and cost-effective way to earn a DB2 9 certification. Plus, the certification guides are useful resources to keep at your desk following the exam if you ever need to refresh a concept or skill.
For more information about the Certify and Save promotion, visit ibm.com/software/data/education/voucher.html. From this site you can read more about the promotion, listen to a podcast about the offer, and download a PDF with all the promotion details.
So… get studying!
P.S. Before your exam, you can test your skills with an assessment exam available for only $10 USD – visit ibm.com/software/data/education/cert-assessment.html for more information.
The Information Management Assess and Save offer is back by popular demand! Many of you took advantage of this promotion in 2009 and not only saved $100USD on your IM Certification, but also experienced pass rates of 90%! What can be better than that?
Here's how it works in two simple steps:
- Take and PASS an Information Management assessment exam for $10USD. These practice tests enable you to test your readiness for a minimal fee, helping you to be successful on exam day.
- You will receive a 50% off voucher good toward the purchase of the corresponding exam at the IBM Authorized Testing Provider, Prometric. You will receive your voucher via email within 10 days after completing and passing the online assessment test.
Assess and Save starts TODAY, April 1, 2010, and runs through June 30, 2010. You can redeem vouchers you earn during the offering period until August 31, 2010. There really is no better time to earn an industry-recognized Information Management Certification!
Click here to learn more about Assess and Save.
If you attend an eligible software training class between May 5 and October 29 2010, you will receive a complimentary Lenovo S10-3 netbook! This netbook features a 10.1" Display, Intel ATOM N270, 1GB memory, 160GB Hard drive, and MORE.
To qualify, you must complete the eligible class by December 17, 2010. There are more than 100 eligible IBM Cognos®, Data Management, Enterprise Content Management, IBM InfoSphere™ and IBM WebSphere® courses.
Note that this offer is only available to IBM clients in the U.S. and cannot be combined with other IBM discounts. The offer is not available for Lotus®, Rational® and Tivoli® courses.
Click here to learn more about this offer and find the full list of eligible courses!
Enjoy your new software skills and your new netbook!
Ok, I’ll admit it. When thinking of databases my mind doesn’t immediately jump to games. I think of tables and cells and queries… and perhaps you do too. My thinking was altered, however, when I came across two games that have been created specifically for people learning DB2 and reinforcing existing DB2 skills. These FREE interactive self-study games build your DB2 skills using real world problems and solutions.
Just choose your level and start playing:
If you are a beginner, choose the IBM DB2 Detective Game
If you like watching crime investigation shows, this might just be the perfect game for you. Using a crime investigation theme, you will enforce your DB2 9 and SQL skills while learning relational database concepts and how they can be applied to real-life problems. I’ve played this game and highly recommend it.
If you have some existing DB2 skills, choose the IBM DB2 Business Game
Try a “run your own business” scenario and put your DB2 and SQL skills to the test with the Business Game. Your company’s future depends on a key report needed to secure funds for a critical upgrade… can you put your DB2 skills into action and beat the game? Play now and find out.
Both games are available at ibm.com/software/data/education/games.html
Enjoy the games!
Have you heard of The DB2Night Show? Recently, I've been hearing about it quite a bit so I decided to check it out for myself. I visited The DB2Night Show website and browsed around. I learned that the show's mission is to build a fun, interactive community around DB2 LUW. Each episode will include fun stuff, education, tips, and special guests. Guests will range from industry experts to "Joe the DBA". Sounds good to me!
The DB2Night Show is recorded with a studio audience of up to 1,000 people for each show. These lucky people have reserved FREE tickets on the website prior to the show. If a show gets "sold out," you can find replay information available on the website.
Now to clear up a common misconception. Despite the name Night Show, the shows are recorded and broadcast during the day in North America. If you live in another geo and the time doesn't work for you or you have another conflict, you can always check out the replay.
Upcoming DB2Night Shows include:
- The DB2Night Show Episode #11 - "DB2 9.7 Optimizer Updates" - Friday, January 29, 2010 at 10am CENTRAL
- The DB2Night Show Episode #12 - The Wild Wonderful World of DB2 Resources - Friday, February 12, 2010 at 10am CENTRAL
- The DB2Night Show Episode #13 - DB2 Compression Updates with Paul Z! - Friday, February 19, 2010 at 10am CENTRAL
Note that Episode #12 features our very own Susan Visser
(check out her blog!
) sharing her favorite resources for learning about DB2 - get recommendations for the best books, the best blogs, the best white papers, the most illuminating podcasts and videos, and more. Consider this episode your personal roadmap to free and low cost information about DB2, and get ready to grow your DB2 skills in 2010 with Susan's advice! This will be a great episode and I have already reserved my seat.
On the website, you'll also find replays of Episodes 1 - 10 on other great DB2 topics.
I encourage you to check out The DB2Night Show website and sign up for a show. If you'd like to be feature on the show, information is available on the website as well.
The International Informix Users Group (IIUG) Conference is rapidly approaching! The conference is taking place May 15-18 at the Overland Park Marriott in Kansas. Members of our Information Management Support Team will be at the event and look forward to speaking with you about our Support tools and offerings at the Support kiosk.
Our Support team will also be hosting two tutorials as part of the Pre-Conference Tutorials on Sunday May 15th. Sign up for these tutorials to learn valuable information about Informix directly from our world-class Support experts.
Certification Preparation for Informix version 11.70 (Available 8:30am or 10:30am)
Taught by Sanjit Chakraborty, Advanced Technical Support Engineer, IBM
Are you considering taking new certification test for Informix 11.70? The Informix Certification Prep can help you to reach your certification goal. The Informix Certification Prep is the ultimate source to prepare for the Informix 11.70 System Administrator Test 000-919. Attend this tutorial session for everything you want to know about the Informix certification exam 919. It will cover the following:
- Exam Preparation Strategies
- Exam score structure
- Recommended Skills
- Topics and study materials for success
- Sample questions
Informix Certification Prep will build your confidence by evaluating your knowledge and skills prior to taking the actual exam. Participate in this tutorial and you'll be well on your way to that much sought after perfect exam score!
Troubleshooting Informix 11.7
, Sunday All Day Tutorial (8:30 AM - 4:30 PM)
Primary speaker: Hyun-Ju Vega, Informix Advanced Support Engineer, IBM
Additional speakers: Mark Jamison, Ron Privett, Darin Tracy, IBM
Discover troubleshooting techniques that will assist you or your clients in debugging issues on Informix 11.7. Areas of focus will include:
- Isolating Problems
- Memory and Backup/Restore
Hyun-Ju Vega is an Advanced Support engineer on the APD team in IBM Informix Technical Support. During Hyun-Ju's thirteen years with Informix Support, she has specialized in engine diagnostics and support feature work in Archive/Restore and SQL areas. Active in IDS RAS projects, she can speak with expertise on subjects relating to IDS backup and restore, performance, and diagnostics.
To learn more about these tutorials and sign up, click here!
Join us on February 25, 2009 for a special online event with live webcasts featuring the key trends and innovations that are shaping the next generation of Data Management products. Chat with industry experts and IBM innovators about the evolution of traditional Data Management practices in the age of SOA, Web 2.0 and the continuing data explosion into new smarter practices and paradigms for managing information.
See how this smarter data revolution is creating new opportunities for organizations to refresh their approaches, and in the process:
- Gain better access to data
- Increase data security
- Lower costs
Learn how customers who have made the change are now reaping the rewards, and what it took to get them there.
Get all the benefits of a world class Information Management event without the hassle and expense of travel. Register today!
Expo Solution Pedestals:
- 8:00 AM ET, Show floor opens
- 11:00, Understanding the Foundations Of The Information Agenda
- 12:00 Noon, Chat with the experts
- 1:30 PM, Integrated Data Management Revolution with Merv Adrian of Forrester Research
- 2:30 PM, Chat with the experts
- 6:00 PM, Show floor closes
- Information Agenda
- Lower Costs with IBM Data Servers
- Optim Data Growth
- Architect and Developer Productivity
- DBA Efficiency and Autonomics
IOD Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) is quickly approaching! Taking place June 3-6 2008 in The Hague, Netherlands, IOD EMEA is the largest and most valuable IBM event in EMEA for Information Management Customers, Prospects, Business Partners and IBM Employees. Some of my team members will be there running exciting events and promotions that I know you won’t want to miss.
Study to Win an iPod® Shuffle™
Take a free Information Management certification exam at IOD EMEA and achieve one of the top four scores daily to win an iPod Shuffle! All Information Management exams qualify, excluding the FileNet exams. Each attendee can only win once. The iPod Shuffles are small (perfect for the gym) and very handy for traveling. To top it off their green colour clearly displays your mastery of Information Management!
FREE Online Practice ExamsIf you are hoping to bring home a Shuffle you should study now to increase your chances of winning! What better way is there to gauge your readiness than with an Information Management practice exam online? And, since we really want you to win, we’re making these exams FREE up to and during the conference (May 18 to June 6). They normally cost $10 USD per exam. Visit ibm.com/software/data/education/cert-assessment.html.
You can also prepare with our online resources. Visit ibm.com/software/data/education/certprep.html
Books galore Our IBM Publications Program Manager, Susan Visser, will be running a bookstore at IOD EMEA and has arranged some book giveaways & meet the author sessions you’ll want to attend.
- IBM Informix Dynamic Server 11, the Next Generation in OLTP Data Server Technology - pick up your free copy outside World Forum Theater immediately following the Data Management featured keynote on Tuesday, 3 June at 12.20
- DB2 VIPER Strikes Again, New Features in DB2 9.5 - pick up your free copy outside World Forum Theater immediately following the Data Management featured keynote on Tuesday 3 June at 12.20
- Enterprise Master Data Management: An SOA Approach to Managing Core Information - pick up your free copy and have the authors sign your book outside World Forum Theater immediately following the Information Platform & Solutions featured keynote on Wednesday, 4 June at 12.20
Please note that there are only a limited number of free books available.
Have fun at IOD EMEA!
To kick off my first post of 2011 (sorry I'm a bit late!), I thought I'd share some information about the newest Informix certification role -- IBM Certified System Administrator - Informix 11.70. Earning this certification requires passing the Informix 11.70 System Administrator (Test 000-919) exam.
To successfully complete this exam, you will need to answer questions to certify that you have the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to install, administer and tune, configure, monitor, and troubleshoot Informix 11.70. For this reason, significant experience with intermediate or advanced level skills as an Informix v11.70 system/database administrator is a recommended ore-requisite.
Breaking it down!
The exam itself consists of 63 questions in 90 minutes. You need to achieve 60% to pass. Here are the exam objectives and the weighting of each objective:
- Section 1 - Installation and Configuration (12.5%)
- Section 2 - Space Management (19%)
- Section 3 - System Activity Monitoring and Troubleshooting (14%)
- Section 4 - Performance Tuning (16%)
- Section 5 - Backup and Restore (8%)
- Section 6 - Replication and High Availability (10%)
- Section 7 - Warehousing (8%)
- Section 8 - Security (12.5%)
You can find more detailed information about the exam breakdown by clicking here
Prepare to Pass!
Get yourself ready to pass this exam by enrolling in recommended training courses (available in traditional classroom or online), take the FREE IBM Informix Dynamic Server 11 System Administration Certification Preparation Tutorial Series, or visit the IBM® Informix® 11.70 Information Center.
Find more information
Click to learn more about the IBM Certified System Administrator - Informix 11.70 certification role. Click to learn more about the Informix 11.70 System Administrator (Test 000-919) exam.
To continue my IOD series I am going to tell you about some extremely valuable places to visit during this year's event. I'm talking about the IM Education Hands-on Demo Room and the Information Management Services Consulting Corner.
IM Education Hands-On Demo Room
By now, you've probably heard all about the new flexible Training options from IBM. But even though you've heard of them, you may not understand exactly what they are, how they work, and which option is right for you. At the Hands-On Demo room, you'll be able to see and try Instructor-Led Online (ILO) courses and Self-Paced training courses. You'll leave the room better informed about the Training solution that fits your budget and your time constraints. Try a new way to learn!
The Demo Room will be located in the South Convention Center on the second floor, Surf A. The Demo Room is open Tuesday 12:00pm to 5:00pm and Wednesday 9:30am to 12:00pm.
Information Management Services Consulting Corner
Do you want access to our expert Services consultants from Cognos, DM, ECM, and InfoSphere? Do you have a question about your next project or implementation? Are you wondering exactly how IM Services can help you? Visit the Consulting Corner for advice and counsel from our expert consultants. Learn all about our pre-defined services offerings and best practices which can accelerate your next implementation project.
The Consulting Corner is located on the EXPO floor.
For more information about these and other IOD activities, visit our IOD Services page.
Next up in the IOD Series: the Support, Services, and Education Hub
This is the second year that you will be able to visit the Hub at IOD. If you were in attendance last year, you may recall “meeting” the Hub Dude, networking with experts from Support, Services, and Education, and learning what’s new in each of these different areas. Although I wasn’t in attendance, I have a Hub Dude (a USB hub) sitting on my desk in front of me now.
So, if you are attending IOD and want to talk to experts and gain technical insights about Cognos, Data Management, Enterprise Content Management, and/or InfoSphere software, you’ll want to drop by the Hub. Our Support experts can explain why Support is a critical part of business productivity. Our Services gurus can share some of their success stories and how they can assist you with solution implementation and best practices. And, our Education team can talk to you about your Training needs and walk you through hands-on demonstrations of our latest Training options (such as Instructor-Led Online and Self-Paced Virtual Courses). Plus, you can talk to experts from developerWorks and Redbooks and learn more about these valuable resources.
While you are at the Hub, you will be able to pick up a FREE Redbooks DVD preloaded with Information Management Redbooks! These DVDs have gone quickly in the past, so visit early to make sure you get one.
The Hub will be located outside the Expo on level one between the registration desks and the bookstore.
This is how I see it:
experts + demos + networking + Support + Services + Education + developerWorks + Redbooks and free DVD = you’ve got to visit the Hub!
With all these experts around, you should start thinking early about questions or business challenges you might want to discuss with them. They are already looking forward to talking with you. Make your visit to IOD valuable from the moment you step past the registration desk by visiting the Support, Services, and Education Hub.
If you work with a relational database, you might be interested in checking out the IBM Database Magazine. Previously DB2 Magazine, this magazine and website provides tons of useful information about DB2, Informix, U2, Application Development, Analytics, Content & Discovery, and (where I contribute) Skills & Education.
The site contains useful and current information about a wide variety of database topics. If you want to be the first to know about the latest database news, you can subscribe to the magazine. You have the choice of the quarterly print edition, the monthly e-newsletter, and/or the quarterly digital edition (same content as the print edition… just digital).
If you crave even more database information or want to contribute some of your own, join the IBM Database Magazine Wiki for the Information Management user community. You’ll find tips, tricks, tools, and solutions from other members of the community.
I hope you find this resource useful. Visit IBM Database Magazine at www.ibmdatabasemag.com.
It's hard to believe that another Information on Demand conference has come and gone. Although I didn't attend IOD, I spoke with some of my coworkers who were there to hear all about the event.
The newly launched Skills Hub was a big success with many people visiting the Hub to learn about Services, Training, Certification, Books, developerWorks, Redbooks, and Support. Attendees were eager to meet the Hub Dude (a five foot tall Hub Dude cutout greeted Skills Hub guests and those who took the Skills Hub survey took home a much smaller dude - a USB 2.0 Hub.) There was significant buzz at the Skills Hub about Instructor-Led Online training. Attendees were also able to get their hands on the hot-off-the-press new skills DVD "Boost your DB2 9 Skills + Gaming" featuring the latest information about DB2 9. If you weren't there or didn't get a DVD, look for it at other events in 2009.
The Certification lab was jumping during the conference with many attendees earning an IBM Professional Certification. Hot topics were the new 2008 certifications:
- IBM Certified Solution Developer, InfoSphere DataStage v8.0 (Exam 418)
- IBM Certified Solution Designer, InfoSphere Warehouse V9.5 (Exam 719)
- IBM Certified Solution Developer, DB2 9.5 SQL Procedure Developer (Exam 735)
- IBM Certified System Administrator, DB2 9 for z/OS (Exam 737)
Learn about these and all the other Information Management Professional certification exams at ibm.com/software/data/education/certification.html
There was a little extra competition in the lab this year since the test takers who earned the top three scores each day were awarded with iPod Shuffles! The next seven top scores each day received a 2GB USB key. I'm wishing I was there and could have got my hands on one of those awards.
And, like previous years, IBM Certified Professionals were pampered in the Certified Members' Only Lounge!
The Information Management Bookstore was a spot of activity at IOD, with the large number of book giveaways and signings generating plenty of excitement.
Well, another year and another successful IOD conference. Thanks to everyone who visited our team at IOD. If you missed the event visit ibm.com/iodskills to learn more about our offerings.
If you are going to be attending either the IIUG Informix Conference (April 27 – 30 in Overland Park, Kansas) or the IDUG North America Conference (May 13 – 22 in Dallas, Texas) then you’ll have the opportunity to take free Information Management Certification exams while at the conference(s). This is a great way to boost your skill level and save some money. I had the opportunity to be a proctor at an event last fall. While many people studied and passed their exams, others said they wished they had prepared a bit earlier.
So, now is the time to start studying to make sure you pass when your exam day arrives. I’m going to point you to some handy certification study tutorials, guides, and self-assessments to help you prepare.
Self-study tutorials: ibm.com/software/data/education/selfstudy.html#5
There are a number of certification tutorials available to you.
- Those attending IIUG would likely be interested in the new IBM Informix Dynamic Server 11 System Administration Certification Prep Tutorial Series. This series of eight tutorials helps you prepare for Exam 918.
- If you are attending IDUG North America there are a few new tutorials to choose from, including the DB2 9 Fundamentals Exam 730 Certification Prep Tutorial Series, the DB2 9 DBA for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Exam 731 Certification Prep Tutorial Series, and the DB2 9 Application Developer Certification Exam Prep Tutorials for Exam 733.
Certification guides: ibm.com/software/data/education/bookstore/certify.html
If you are prepping for a DB2 9 exam, you’ll want to pick up one of the recently published certification guides available for Exam 730, Exam 731, Exam 732, and Exam 736. These guides not only get you ready for certification day, they are also a great resource to keep on your desk as a reference (perhaps beside your new certification).
Self-Assessment exams: ibm.com/software/data/education/cert-assessment.html
Since you are already getting your exam for free at one of the conferences, you should invest $10.00 before the event and take a self-assessment exam. Test your readiness and identify areas in need of focused study before sitting down to write the actual exam. If you pass the assessment you’ll have a boost of confidence, and if you don’t you will be able to identify areas to study. Either way you can’t lose.
I hope some of these resources help you as you prepare for certification. Now stop reading… and start studying!
P.S. My coworker Susan Visser just wrote a great new article for DB2 Mag about certification – check it out here: www.ibmdatabasemag.com/qanda/2001q2_cert.shtml