TheDatabase Explorer WindowNow that you have a workspace, and a connection established, it is timeto take a quick look around the options available to you in theDatabase Explorer window. By default this window is located in thelower left hand corner, and on start up looks like this:
As you can see this has a tool bar as well as the Connections folder.Let's take a quick look at the options you have on the tool bar.Traveling from Left to right, you have:
- Collapse all:This allows you to quickly collapse all the folders you have opened inyour explorer, as shown in the above dialog.
- Link:This allows you to link data in the explorer to an open editor.
- SQL Scrapbook:This lets you open up a file that saves the SQL you aretesting.
- Disconnect:Will disconnect any connection you have highlighter.
- New Connection:Will take you to the connection tool, so you can add more connectionsand Databases to your Database Explorer.
- SQL Editor:This lets you go straight to the SQL Editor Window.
- ExportConnection: This lets you export an existing connection toXML. Makes it easy to deploy connections to multiple machines.
- ImportConnection: Allows you to import the connection settingsfrom an XML file. So if, for instance, someone were to export theconnection settings for a development database, rather than having toget all the information to fill the connection string yourself, all youhave to do is import the connection.
Now let's open up our connections folder in this window. We willbe looking at the stores_demo database. So first we open theConnections folder, and then the stores_demo connection folder, andfinally the stores_demo database folder. And when the folders are open you will see something like the following:
As you can see, each connection tells you what type of instance you areconnecting too, in my case all of my instances are 11.10, thoughDeveloper Workbench reports them as 11.0. You can see thatthe Database folderhas three sub-folders. Those Folders are:
- Roles : Handles Roles for the database
- Schemas : All database objects filtered byuser_name.
- Users : User permissions for the database.