Roles Folder:The Roles Folder, as it's name implies, gives you a view of all theroles created for the table, and a visual means to create new roles oralter existing roles. To get a quick look at how this folder works,let's create a test role that will have complete access to the customertable.
- Select create rule from the folder, by right clicking onthe folder, and following the menu options. It should look like thefollowing:
- This should now bring up the Data Object Editor window inthe center portion of your workspace. You will start in the Generaltab, and you will see that the Role name has been pre-filled, Let's change that to customer_role, so now you should seesomething like the following:
- Let's now make sure we grant privileges to customer forthis role, to do this move down to the Privilege tab, clickon the table tab, and the click on the "Grant New Privileges"which looks like a yellow star. That will bring up the Gant NewPrivileges window. While it looks like you can just type a table namehere, you actually have to press the "browse" button and select the customer table fromthe browser. Once you do that you should see the window as shown below:
Go ahead and check all the boxes listed, and then check OK.
- You will now be back in the main window. Just click on the Run DDL button, andthe customer_role role will be created
As you can see you can do the following:
- Alter the role
- Drop the role
- Generate the DDL for the role.
- View Membership