In my previous entry, I gave some tips on how to correct assertion failures in the Informix® server. Obviously, the real goal is to prevent them in the first place!
Here are some things you should do on a regular basis that might prevent assertion failures:
- Test your applications thoroughly in a realistic environment before releasing your applications into production.
- Check and repair the consistency of your data. Run oncheck!
- Upgrade to the latest major and fix pack release.
- Update statistics. In 11.70, statistics are updated automatically by default.
- Monitor and complete in-place alter operations.
To find out how and why each of these tasks can prevent assertion failures, read this topic: Prevent and prepare for assertion failures.
Of course, you should always be prepared for a catastrophic failure, so make sure you backup your data, logical logs, and your database and storage spaces schemas.