Big news last week on the Optim tools front.
- DB2 introduced a new server, Advanced Enterprise Server Edition, that bundles up tons of tools for a phenomenal value, including Optim Performance Manager! Anyone looking at or owning Enterprise Server Edition needs to take a look at this high value offering. See the announcement here.
- All DB2 for Linux, Unix, and Windows customers with current subscriptions now get access to Optim Database Administrator and Optim Development Studio in addition to Data Studio. Use Optim Database Administrator to save time and reduce errors in administering DB2 databases. Use Optim Development Studio to accelerate application development against DB2 and Oracle. Let the downloading begin! (Links further down)
- We released mod releases and fixpacks today for several tools with great added function with more coming later in the month.
Let me take you through the highlights.
Administration and Availability
- Data Studio provides an easy to use development and administration tool. Data Studio 2.2.1, still available in either a standalone or integrated development environment (IDE) configuration, is enhanced for first time user experience, customizable catalog navigation, customizable, template-based routine development (check out the new article from Michael on this), enhanced data browsing, a new query tuning UI, a new health monitor, and updates for use with DB2 for z/OS V10. Early user feedback has given rave reviews to the new task launcher for improving the experience for first-time users, particularly those not familiar with the Eclipse environment. The new health monitor is a separately installed component with Web UI, but is seamlessly launchable from the Eclipse client to monitor DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows health and view alerts, application, utilities, and storage. Download it here.
- Optim Database Administrator saves time and reduces errors associated with complex database changes for DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows databases. Installable together with the Data Studio IDE, it provides copy and paste, compare and synch, and data migration features that identify and manage dependent objects automatically. It provides seamless integration with InfoSphere Data Architect for governing and accelerating the database design through deployment process. Optim Database Administrator 2.2.3 inherits most of the Data Studio enhancements and enhances compare filtering. It also improves performance for building change scripts when working with a small number of objects in very large databases. Use with Optim Test Data Management to streamline test data creation, reduce storage consumption, and manage data privacy. Download Optim Database Administrator 2.2.3 here.
- Optim High Performance Unload reduces demand on system resources, shrinks batch window requirements, accelerates database migrations, and minimizes impact on business operations by speeding up unload processes by 4X or more. Optim High Performance Unload 4.2 is enhanced with DB2 pureScale support and a new option for unloading from a schema.
Design and Development
- InfoSphere Data Architect enhances design productivity, data quality, enterprise consistency and data governance. It supports business and IT collaboration to keep IT aligned with business objectives and helps to define and enforce compliance to enterprise standards. New in InfoSphere Data Architect 7.5.3 is enhanced multi-dimensional modeling including automatic discovery and notation of facts, measures, dimensions, and outriggers, automatic de-normalization of operational data for designing warehouses, and lossless integration with InfoSphere Warehouse and Cognos Framework Manager. Watch for a demo of this new capability later this month. Download InfoSphere Data Architect 7.5.3 here.
- Optim Development Studio increases development efficiency up to 50% for Java data access and facilitates cross-system development and migration. A quick review: it supports development for DB2, Oracle, and Informix. Its SQL outline feature facilitates developer and DBA collaboration quickly isolating all the SQL for review and enabling impact analysis by correlating SQL with source code, database objects, and ALTER requests. Its application metadata can be transferred to Optim Performance Manager to pinpoint problem SQL to the Java method and line of code. Plus it positions the organization to take advantage of Optim pureQuery Runtime to enhance and lockdown performance and mitigate SQL injection risk. New in Optim Development Studio 2.2.1 is the ability to deploy SQL scripts, procedures, and functions to multiple development and test servers with a single gesture. The customer feedback has been fabulous. Clifford will have an article coming out in a couple weeks. Included with Optim Development Studio are development-only copies of Optim pureQuery Runtime and the DB2 Connect JDBC driver, so download all of these together from here.
- Optim Performance Manager provides out-of-the-box performance monitoring and management to improve quality of service and prevent impacts to business operations. Its intuitive web UI provides use-anywhere monitoring, alerting, and diagnosis of potential performance bottlenecks. Integrated tooling enables easy setup exploitation of DB2 workload manager to make sure that system database resources are applied according to business priorities. And its performance warehouse provides needed context for proactive performance management, trend analysis, and capacity planning. The new Optim Performance Manager fix pack (timed for delivery with DB2 Advanced Enterprise Server Edition) does double-duty providing health monitoring for all your other development and test systems at no additional charge providing a single integrated console for monitoring all your DB2 servers. Plus it has added more flexibility in alert management, DB2 Workload Manager configuration, more performance metrics, more reports, and more consumability improvements. Want more? Upgrade to Optim Performance Manager Enterprise Edition. It enables monitoring of end-to-end database transaction times to assure that critical workloads are meeting their response time targets. New in this delivery, tell us the response time goal for the workload and let us figure out how to make it happen. Plus there’s now support for .NET and Type 2 connection workloads, enhanced Tivoli integration, and more granular performance detail.
- Optim Query Tuner gives DBAs and developers expert advice on query structure, access paths, statistics, and indexes to improve query performance. Optim Query Tuner for Linux, UNIX, and Windows 2.2.1 sports a new user interface to streamline query tuning workflow.
- Optim pureQuery Runtime improves performance and predictability while reducing risk. Optim pureQuery Runtime 2.2.1 adds support for ODBC and CLI applications. Using pureQuery, you can configure a DB2 application to run the application's dynamic SQL statements statically. You can also convert SQL statement string literals to parameter markers to improve performance, replace poor performing SQL statements with optimized statements without changing the application, and reduce the risk of SQL injection attacks by restricting what SQL statement are allowed to run against the database.
OK, let me take a breath! As you can see, we’ve been busy. Hope you’re planning to stop in and see us in Las Vegas at the Information On Demand conference. Kimberly will post a summary of our key sessions and events soon.