I am excited to talk about some new options for accessing product help in the latest releases of the Eclipse-based products:
- Data Studio (IDE package) 2.2.1
- InfoSphere Data Architect 7.5.3
- Optim Database Administrator 2.2.3
- Optim Development Studio 2.2.1
- Optim Query Tuner 2.2.1
In these releases, there are new options for accessing the contents of the product information center (either via F1 or the Help > Help Contents menu). These options are presented on a new panel in the Installation Manager Install wizard, and they can be changed at any time on the Window > Preferences > Help > Contents preferences page.
- The help content can be accessed on the web so that you can have the smallest installation footprint and the most up-to-date information. This is the default option and requires no additional setup after installation.
- The help content can be downloaded and accessed on your computer so that you can work disconnected from the Internet with periodic updates. The installation of the local help is now a separate step from the product install, using the Local Help Updater (Help > Local Help Updater).
- The help content can be deployed on an intranet server so that you can work behind a firewall with administrative updates. This option requires you to set up the server but is the best way to go if you have a large team that does not have internet access.
The local help for the Data Studio stand-alone package is still always installed with the product, and the stand-alone product does not include the new install options. However, you can still view the Data Studio stand-alone product information online using the link below.
For more information about these new options and how to configure them, see the following topic in one of the information centers: "Configuring Web-based help".
As part of this enhancement, you can also choose to view the product-specific information centers online (outside of the products), in an external web browser. The new information centers are located here:
Data Studio (IDE and stand-alone): http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idmhelp/ds-v2r2/index.jsp
InfoSphere Data Architect: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rdahelp/v7r5/index.jsp
Optim Database Administrator: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idmhelp/admin-v2r2/index.jsp
Optim Development Studio: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idmhelp/dev-v2r2/index.jsp
Optim Query Tuner: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idmhelp/tune-v2r2/index.jsp
Enjoy your new help options!